Winching by the Tail Wheel

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Jim Collins

Winching by the Tail Wheel

Post by Jim Collins »

This may be a silly question but I have to ask.

A friend at the airport who has a C195 told me that his airplane can not be winched or towed by the tail wheel. Apparently it is a weak structure on that airplane and the tail wheel support can be broken easily (although it is strong enough for taking off and landing)

I look at our tail wheels and the mounting looks very strong but I have to ask - is winching and towing by the tail wheel okay?? I see nothing about it the manuals I have.

Thanks

Jim Collins
C170B N2488D
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Winching by the Tail Wheel

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I've pulled my plane around the ramp by the tailwheel. I've used both a tail dragger dragger which lifts the wheel of the ground and one pushes and pulls on it manually. I've also used a long T handle hook to the L-19 bolt that attaches the tail wheel to the springs. My plane was kept on a lift. I use to winch it on to the lift rather than push it. All of this I consider to be incidental to the operation of the aircraft.

I don't know if I would tow my aircraft cross country on a daily bases.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Re: Winching by the Tail Wheel

Post by GAHorn »

Pulling it straight back wouldn’t pose much of a problem, I don’t think. But I’d avoid any side-loads.

Be aware of which tailwheel bracket you have tho’…. the early, small steel “box” bracket is prone to cracks at the attach-points/rivets due to the small purchase-area upon the fuselage of that bracket. I would not tow the early bracket by the tailwheel.

The later, larger, aluminum “alligator” bracket used on the B-model and L-19 is much more durable in that regard.

A better system is to use the L-19 tow-rings on the inside of the main gear.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)