Cessna C163001-0103 wheels vs Cleveland 40-97A

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

pinkiedog64

Cessna C163001-0103 wheels vs Cleveland 40-97A

Post by pinkiedog64 »

Nearing completion on my first owner-assist annual. All the physical work is done and now the IA is working on the paperwork end. Previous annuals were done by a different IA and there wasn’t a complete equipment and STC list so we are creating a new one. The airplane has the Cleveland wheel and brake STC (SA13GL, I believe). The STC calls for Cleveland 40-97A wheels. The wheels installed on my airplane are have a data tag showing C163001-0103 (Cessna pn) and something along the lines of “manufactured by Cessna for Cleveland” (don’t recall exact phrase). I found this McFarlane cross reference chart (2nd page) showing Cleveland 40-97a is the cross reference to Cessna C163001-0103 https://www.mcfarlaneaviation.com/media ... erence.pdf. So it appears I do have the correct wheels, just using the Cessna pn instead of Cleveland. My question is, is there a document (other than this McFarlane chart) that shows the cross reference that my IA can use to prove Cessna C163001-0103 is equivalent to Cleveland 40-97A?
Metal Master

Re: Cessna C163001-0103 wheels vs Cleveland 40-97A

Post by Metal Master »

Cessna updated there later model parts catalogs such as Cessna 172Ps because even though Cleveland used to manufacture the McCauley line of wheels used on later Cessna model aircraft they stopped manufacturing the McCauley line years ago and basically forced aircraft owners to change to Cleveland wheels and Brakes when parts were required to be replaced. Cessna incorporated the Cleveland wheels and brakes into their parts numbering system. Which creates confusion. If you simply go to Cessnaparts.com and enter the part number C163001-0103 you will find it is superseded to 40-97A. The parts catalogs for newer model Cessna aircraft have all of the various possible wheel combinations in there catalogs. Here for example is a parts catalog which includes for the later 172 models https://support.cessna.com/docs/custsup ... 696-12.pdf all of the early wheel and and brake assemblies used on 172's. If you look all of the various wheel assembly's you will note that they are followed in the units per assembly column with the Letter NP meaning Not Procurable. The Cleveland parts catalog Https://www.parker.com/literature/Aircr ... PC0001.pdf shows that a lot of the early Cessna 172 had the Cleveland part number 40-97A installed as original equipment. The Cessna 170's having had Good Year wheels and brakes as original equipment and having been produced before the advent of either Cleveland or McCauley wheel brakes came into existence never had the Cleveland part numbers in their catalog. Outside of that there was a period of time when Cessna had there own part numbers for those wheel and brake parts which are now all listed in the Cleveland parts catalog in the original equipment listing.
If someone used original Cessna part numbers for installing the Cessna (Cleveland) part number wheels and brakes in your aircraft. It may conform to the STC via part numbers but was not installed per the STC and there for is technically not a legal installation. If you do not have the STC form 337 in your possession for your aircraft, if it was filled out and sent to the FAA it will be in the records for the aircraft in Oklahoma City FAA records branch. Which you can order on line. Other than that the only way to get your installation legal would be to either get Cleveland to sell you STC without purchasing the actual wheels and brakes (not likely) or get the FAA to field approve the installation. (maybe). I have gotten unapproved wheels and brakes I have found on various aircraft during annual inspections field approved. For example Double Puck brakes installed on a 182D installed per an STC that did not have the 182D listed on it's approved model list. And double puck brakes installed on a Piper Dakota that later serial number airplanes had installed as original equipment but the earlier models did not.
Hope this helps I am sure it is confusing. But then as Blue Leader once said, "there are no landing gear police out there".
Regards,
Jim
A&P, IA, New owner C170A N1208D, Have rebuilt some 50 aircraft. So many airplanes, So little time!
n2582d

Re: Cessna C163001-0103 wheels vs Cleveland 40-97A

Post by n2582d »

Stephan,
Jim has a heck of a lot more experience in maintaining aircraft than I do so I’d give what he writes a lot of weight. However, some years ago I came across a couple of Service Bulletins that, for me at least, seem to indicate that no STC is needed to install the Cleveland wheels you have. As you have the STC this is a moot point for you. I’d appreciate Jim’s opinion on this thread. (Sorry about the thread drift)
Gary