O360 engine models for STC

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

stefancrucil

O360 engine models for STC

Post by stefancrucil »

Hi All,

I found a 0360-A1D. Does anyone know if there is an STC for this engine model?

Thanks for your time.
daedaluscan

Re: O360 engine models for STC

Post by daedaluscan »

Isn’t that an A1A with different mags? Pretty sure Delaire STC covers that.
Charlie

1956 170B C-GDRG #27019
Metal Master

Post by Metal Master »

Any Lycoming engine model that ends with a "D" is the single drive dual magneto style accessory case. You cannot convert that engine to a dual magneto engine as it it has a different gear drive inside the accessory case. The "D" style Magnetos while a bad idea to begin with, have become almost unsupportable.
A&P, IA, New owner C170A N1208D, Have rebuilt some 50 aircraft. So many airplanes, So little time!
stefancrucil

Post by stefancrucil »

Thanks for the quick feedback and good to know about the D model! Will keep the search going!
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

I have heard that you can send a D model 360 engine back to lycoming for a exchange engine with 2 seperate mags .
You should get that D model engine very cheap regardless of hours . It’s the stigma of the single drive mag .
bat443

Post by bat443 »

Metal Master is correct if the second suffix letter is a D as in O320H2AD or in this case if it was o360 A1DD it would be a single drive dual magneto engine. In this case O360 A1D means that it has a different magneto than a A1A, a Bendix 200 series (each magneto has its own drive) on the A1D. Most 170 O360 STC's allow use of a A1D, if not the engine can be converted to a A1A by changing the magnetos. This is a minor alteration as they are both on the same engine type certificate. Hope this helps.

Tim
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Well thanks to Metal Master and Bat I just learned something!

In a related story…. In the late ‘70s I went to work for an AMEX subsidiary that had a ‘76 Navajo Chieftain and it had the DreaDeD Dual-mags….
I immediately thought that was a stoopid design but flew the airplane for 300 hours on them and following the parent-companys’ Chief-of-Maintenance advice at that 3rd 100-hour inspection purchased a set of overhauled mags and instructed the shop to replace them, sending the “old” 300-hr mags for overhaul.
It was Friday before Labor-Day holiday and since the UPS truck was at the shop on Friday they removed the 300-hour mags and handed them to the UPS driver and off he went with them.
We had a scheduled flight on Monday to take the CEO to Houston and unfortunately… those fresh-overhauled replacement mags were DOA… and the 300-hr mags were somewhere in the UPS shipping dept. so they could not be re-installed.
Frustrating as that may have been…. it may also have contributed to my boss’s decision to get rid of that Navajo and go to turbines…. The next year he traded it for a Cheyenne with PT-6s. :D
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)