Ragwing Rear Strut Bolt

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Jaredpilot

Ragwing Rear Strut Bolt

Post by Jaredpilot »

I just recovered the wing's on my Ragwing and as we have begin the reassembly process I have replaced as many bolts, washers and nuts as possible as we go. Especially those that are seldom removed. With that said, I had difficulty finding the the rear strut bolt and upon a little more digging I discovered they are quite rare and offered only at Univair for $99 per bolt.

Bolt # 0422297 https://www.univair.com/cessna/cessna-1 ... tach-bolt/
Washer # AN364-820

So I ask, is it really important to buy a new bolt/washer for the Rear Strut or would be sufficient to save a little here and reuse my prior bolt which was new in 2013. Is there anything specific about this bolt/washer that would be of concern to use again? I appreciate all input!

Regards,

Jared
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Ragwing Rear Strut Bolt

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Jared, you have a relatively new bolt for a '48. I'd say most of the fleets bolts have been seasoned for 73 years. :wink:

So long as the bolt is not corroded or shows signs of damage, I'd reuse it.

But show us a close up picture of it, specially and markings on the head and the length or grip. . I wonder what makes it so special. Probably just an AN bolt with a custom grip length or a NAS bolt.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I looked at Univair's pic and it is indeed a special length bolt. Still be interested to see the bolt head markings.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The Cessna 120/140 aircraft use the same bolt. It has often been substituted with an ordinary AN8 of appropriate shank-length bolt which has it’s threaded area shortened for fitment. (One of our Members, Gareth, has posted that he used an AN8-17 so-modified and he posted a great pic of that mod’ed installation in a 120/140 using a shear nut.). viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5521

Not documented, but it’s possible that the special 0422297 bolt was NDT’d (x-rayed, etc) for it’s special purpose… but I highly doubt it because the MAIN bolt that holds both struts to the lower fitting and carries the majority of the total load is an ordinary AN8-15A bolt.

I agree with Bruce that if your present bolt is not scratched or damaged in any way it’s probably a good candidate to remain in service with a new nut….but if it really eats at you not to replace it …. if it were mine, I’d consider shortening an AN8 of appropriate length. It’s important that the shank pass completely thru the stressed (shear) area…and that the bolt/nut combinatyion have sufficient threads for full engagement.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)