O-300 Camshaft replacement / Engine overhaul

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

AK170Ragwing

O-300 Camshaft replacement / Engine overhaul

Post by AK170Ragwing »

So.... During the pre buy on my airplane, we found some corrosion on the camshaft. I am looking for advice as far as where to look to find a camshaft to purchase as well as lifters. I'm assuming that I will have to do a total rebuild on this engine. Also looking for advice on engine shops that are trustworthy. I'm not exactly sure which way I should go here. The engine has about 1200 TT on it and everything looks good except one lobe on the cam has a little pitting. I'm sure the magnetos need rebuilt as well.

Thanks in advance!

Josh
Last edited by AK170Ragwing on Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
counsellj

Re: O-300 Camshaft replacement / Engine overhaul

Post by counsellj »

New lifters and cams can be purchased at Aircraft Specialties in OK. That is also where I sent my crankshaft to get turned when I overhauled my O-300. I am sure there are good shops in either Anchorage or Fairbanks for this that would be easier for you.
AK170Ragwing

Post by AK170Ragwing »

Thanks for the recommendation CounsellJ! I bought the only reconditioned camshaft that Aircraft Specialties had. The lifters are 164 dollars each. Is it a must to replace all the lifters when you replace the camshaft? I figured it would be a good idea but I didn't buy them yet.
counsellj

Post by counsellj »

I have a spare set of used lifters that I would sell if you are interested. Call me at 850-723-2072
AK170Ragwing

Post by AK170Ragwing »

Thanks CounsellJ, I will give you a call this evening. I am also looking for the hard to find check valve for the fuel system that the part number was changed. I believe it is part number S4176-1. Any ideas where I can locate this check valve?

Josh
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

You DO NOT want to put used followers on a new/reground cam. Followers must be new or reground. The follower is was rides on the cam lobe. It contains a hydraulic unit which should also be certified. The follower and a hydraulic unit make up a lifter.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

AK170Ragwing wrote:Thanks CounsellJ, I will give you a call this evening. I am also looking for the hard to find check valve for the fuel system that the part number was changed. I believe it is part number S4176-1. Any ideas where I can locate this check valve?

Josh
Check out this post: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=15412&p=143293&hil ... ve#p143293

PS: Many folks do not know that the check-valve originally has a spring inside it which should be removed before the valve is installed. :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
AK170Ragwing

Post by AK170Ragwing »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:You DO NOT want to put used followers on a new/reground cam. Followers must be new or reground. The follower is was rides on the cam lobe. It contains a hydraulic unit which should also be certified. The follower and a hydraulic unit make up a lifter.
Hello Bruce, I was planning on getting either a new set or having a used set reconditioned before I installed them in the new engine during the build. I'm still trying to decided if buying new would be worth the extra cost. I'm not sure if a reconditioned set would be the equivalent to a new set? I definitely don't want to have any issues that would force me to tear open the engine again before I need to.
Last edited by AK170Ragwing on Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AK170Ragwing

Post by AK170Ragwing »

GAHorn wrote:
AK170Ragwing wrote:Thanks CounsellJ, I will give you a call this evening. I am also looking for the hard to find check valve for the fuel system that the part number was changed. I believe it is part number S4176-1. Any ideas where I can locate this check valve?

Josh
Check out this post: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=15412&p=143293&hil ... ve#p143293

PS: Many folks do not know that the check-valve originally has a spring inside it which should be removed before the valve is installed. :wink:
Hello GAHorn,

I found a check valve part number 10630 on Aircraft Spruce's website. I guess I can't use that check valve for the installation? If I have to use this Parker check valve it is considerably more money than the one on the Aircraft Spruce website but I just want to make sure that I have the correct check valve and don't install an incorrect part. I still have to buy the fuel pump as well. My engine doesn't have the fuel pump or check valve installed. I found out it was supposed to be there during my pre-buy research.

Does anybody have any pictures of this check valve and all other fitting installed on the airplane for reference purposes?
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

AK170Ragwing wrote:[

Hello GAHorn,

I found a check valve part number 10630 on Aircraft Spruce's website. I guess I can't use that check valve for the installation? If I have to use this Parker check valve it is considerably more money than the one on the Aircraft Spruce website but I just want to make sure that I have the correct check valve and don't install an incorrect part. I still have to buy the fuel pump as well. My engine doesn't have the fuel pump or check valve installed. I found out it was supposed to be there during my pre-buy research.

Does anybody have any pictures of this check valve and all other fitting installed on the airplane for reference purposes?

The check valve mentioned (10630) is not the one used by Cessna in your 170. If you read all the review of that valve at AircraftSpruce you will see it is not FAA approved, not TSO, not used in any certificated airplane. (It is likely offered by Spruce for the experimental market.)
Yes, I think I have pics of most of the system…but not in digital form I can post or email. The link I provided above to the part sold by Grainger is what the Cessna valve looks like. The IPC has a coarse illustraion on pg 62, Fig 34,but admittedly that’s not very helpful. I’m out of town at the moment but I’ll try to locate some pics I can copy/mail if you like when I get home.

Some Members, rather than deal with the original pump/check-valve/etc. convert their ‘48 “ragwing” 170s to the later 170A configuration under an approval by either FAA or a designated airworthiness or engineering representative. An upcoming 170 News article is soon expected to detail such a conversion one of our Members is currently undergoing.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

AK170Ragwing wrote:
Josh, This thread has some pictures of ‘48 fuel system fittings.
Gary
AK170Ragwing

Post by AK170Ragwing »

GAHorn wrote:
AK170Ragwing wrote:[

The check valve mentioned (10630) is not the one used by Cessna in your 170. If you read all the review of that valve at AircraftSpruce you will see it is not FAA approved, not TSO, not used in any certificated airplane. (It is likely offered by Spruce for the experimental market.)
Yes, I think I have pics of most of the system…but not in digital form I can post or email. The link I provided above to the part sold by Grainger is what the Cessna valve looks like. The IPC has a coarse illustraion on pg 62, Fig 34,but admittedly that’s not very helpful. I’m out of town at the moment but I’ll try to locate some pics I can copy/mail if you like when I get home.

Some Members, rather than deal with the original pump/check-valve/etc. convert their ‘48 “ragwing” 170s to the later 170A configuration under an approval by either FAA or a designated airworthiness or engineering representative. An upcoming 170 News article is soon expected to detail such a conversion one of our Members is currently undergoing.

Thanks GA Horn,

Hopefully I will be able to return the 10630 part number to Aircraft Spruce. I ordered a PARKER 453-1/4S2-6 Check Valve so that I can install the correct part. It says that the check valve is a "hydraulic check valve" but i'm sure its dual purpose. I look forward to reading the new 170 News article.