Battery Options/Opinions

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

dstates

Battery Options/Opinions

Post by dstates »

I think I am due for a new battery. I currently have a Gill G-25 in my 170A which is located on the firewall. It seems to have lasted while (I’ve owned the plane for 2.5 years and I have not installed one, but there is no logbook entry stating when it was installed).

I could go the easy route and just replace with identical, but why pass up a chance to learn from the members here. I’m interested in maintenance free or standard batteries. Not worried about weight reduction or new battery box options.

What battery have you used and how has the experience been?

Please include Brand and Model Number with your comments.

A quick look shows my options to be:
Gill G-25
Gill 7025-20 (sealed)
Concorde RG-25 (sealed)

Gill 70-25-24 (sealed, higher capacity)
Concorde RG-25XC (sealed, higher capacity)

Thanks,
Doug
N1235D - 1951 170A - SN: 20118
pdb

Re: Battery Options/Opinions

Post by pdb »

I just replaced my Concorde RG-25 after 8 years. At annual for the last 4 years I have been asking my mechanic if it was time to replace it. He kept testing and said no. It finally started to fail this winter. I have been astounded at how long it has lasted.

In fairness, I have treated it pretty well. I fly frequently and in winter, I always preheat the engine, the battery, and the instrument panel. In addition, I have put it on a battery tender when ever it was going to be more than three weeks before I would be flying.

In any case, I think I got a great deal of good service from by RG-25.
Pete Brown
Anchorage, Alaska
N4563C 1953 170B
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2366/2527 ... 4e43_b.jpg
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

I get about 5 years on Concorde RG-25 batteries. I replace them when they fail the capacity test, not when they fail to start the engine. Until now I haven’t had a battery minder, but now I do and hope it extends the battery life by a year or two.
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Firstly I have a pet hatred of gill batteries. Any time I have been out in the outback of wop wop and have a plan of taking off as the sun peeps over the horizon , guess what . Battery failure and dead as a door mat it’s a gill battery. . I have been with a group of aircraft flying in a group and any aircraft that has a problem with a battery it’s been with a gill. [please note.. there have been exceptions]. The owner then states,”its just come out of a 100hrly” . I just do not know how the FAA allows them to have a approval to manufacture batteries.
I run a Concord RG25-XC . It’s pushing 7 years old . Never any issues . I am in the middle of a 100hrly at the moment and thinking of changing the battery over. It passes al the tests but I am a little nervous about keeping it as I am planning a trip to outback Australia [wop,wop]. It might go into my wife’s little Honda .
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Concorde RG-25. The only question is do you need the XC and will it fit.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
dstates

Post by dstates »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:Concorde RG-25. The only question is do you need the XC and will it fit.
From the Concorde website the RG-25 and RG-25XC are the same size. Only difference is the -25 is 22Ah with 225 CCA and the XC is 24Ah with 350 CCA. I’m pretty confident I don’t need the extra capacity or cold cranking amps, but based on availability at my normal two shops I can only get the XC version of the Concorde.

Doug
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

And I could use the xc but its not available AC Spruce Canada but the plain Jane is….Ahhhh
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
gfeher

Post by gfeher »

My 170B had a Concorde RG-25XC in it when I bought it. It lasted 8 years. I replaced it with another RG-25XC a few years ago and it's going strong. I plan on sticking with the RG-25XC.
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY
'52 170B N2315D s/n 20467 C-145-2
Experimental J3 Cub Copy N7GW O-200
bgiesbrecht

Post by bgiesbrecht »

I also run the RG-25XC. It's the same size as the RG-25. Both are great batteries - love the XC though, have had no issues.
Former owner of:
1953 170B
N1977C
s/n 26122
dstates

Post by dstates »

Wag Aero had a Concorde RG-25XC actually in stock and a lower price than other sites so I ordered one. If we hadn’t just gotten snow this week, IFR ceilings today, and more snow forecast this weekend I could have flown to their store it pick it up, but I guess I’ll probably save some money by just having them ship it.

I’ll report back once it have it for a while.

Doug
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

dstates wrote:Wag Aero had a Concorde RG-25XC actually in stock and a lower price than other sites so I ordered one. If we hadn’t just gotten snow this week, IFR ceilings today, and more snow forecast this weekend I could have flown to their store it pick it up, but I guess I’ll probably save some money by just having them ship it.

Doug
Not sure what Wag Aero charged but I just received my RG-25XC from Spruce for $320.00, in stock. Shipping is free for purchases over $350.00 so I didn't have to add much to my order to get free shipping.

Joe
4518C
dstates

Post by dstates »

Joe Moilanen wrote:
dstates wrote:Wag Aero had a Concorde RG-25XC actually in stock and a lower price than other sites so I ordered one. If we hadn’t just gotten snow this week, IFR ceilings today, and more snow forecast this weekend I could have flown to their store it pick it up, but I guess I’ll probably save some money by just having them ship it.

Doug
Not sure what Wag Aero charged but I just received my RG-25XC from Spruce for $320.00, in stock. Shipping is free for purchases over $350.00 so I didn't have to add much to my order to get free shipping.

Joe
4518C
Wag Aero was asking $299 plus shipping. Spruce didn’t have any in stock. If they did I would have had them price match Wag Aero, but then I would have spent $50 more on something else to get free shipping. I probably saved some money in the long run. ;)
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

dstates wrote:
Joe Moilanen wrote:

Doug

Joe
4518C
Wag Aero was asking $299 plus shipping. Spruce didn’t have any in stock. If they did I would have had them price match Wag Aero, but then I would have spent $50 more on something else to get free shipping. I probably saved some money in the long run. ;)
I must have got their last one!!

Joe
4518C
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

I have run the Concorde RG-25XC for years and typically get 7-8 years out of them. I have found when they start to quit, they start losing cranking power and don't just go dead like a standard Gill does. That's when I replace them and put the old one in my lawn tractor and run it another few years. Same thing with Odyssey batteries.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!