Taildragger Aviation still in business?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

benny

Taildragger Aviation still in business?

Post by benny »

Hi Everyone and Happy New Year!

I'm interested in getting new cowl latches for my '52 170B. I've gone to https://taildraggeraviation.com to purchase a set. Over the course of several months I've filled out the contact form multiple times and have yet to hear back from anyone. I don't see any other methods of contact from the website. I can't tell if the website is broken and my messages aren't getting through or if perhaps they've gone out of business. Does anyone know their current status? Is there a phone number or direct email address to order a set?

Thank you,
Ben
brianm

Re: Taildragger Aviation still in business?

Post by brianm »

I used the contact form back in September and got a response within a day. Taildragger Aviation is/was David Lowe. The email I've got for him is davidlowe.c140@gmail.com. (Normally I wouldn't post somebody's email openly without permission, but it's all over the Cessna 120/140 site)
Brian M
N2669V - '48
benny

Post by benny »

Thank you so much! I spoke with David. It appears he doesn't own the STC, its a Loraine Morris (spelling?). I'm trying to track her down.

While https://taildraggeraviation.com has lots of STCs, it sounds like David owns the STCs for Cessna 150 conversions but not the cowl latches. I'll keep you all posted if I'm successful contacting her.
Last edited by benny on Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brianm

Post by brianm »

Lorraine and Ken Morris owned the STC when I bought mine a few years ago. I thought they sold it to Lowe, but I guess not. I don't have contact info for them, but they were based out of Poplar Grove airport the last I knew.
Brian M
N2669V - '48
David Sbur

Post by David Sbur »

Ben, check your PM
WA State Rep. Intl Cessna 120-140 Asso.
Cessna 140 1946 N110V
Vancouver WA
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Air Repair had NOS L-19 cowl latches in 2009 that are identical to early C-170 latches plus have a lock pin that helps prevent the latch coming apart if it pops open in flight.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
2723D

Post by 2723D »

Does anyone have an update on Taildragger Aviation? I also want to get a set and tried many ways. David Lowe passed on a phone number to me, actually two different ones and neither connected to the right people. Any leads would be appreciated!
Karl Towle

Post by Karl Towle »

Hey Richard, does this L-19 latch, with it's lock pin feature, eliminate the need for the AN Screw that many people install in the bottom of their latch? If you have any pix of such a latch, I'd enjoy seeing them posted here.
benny

Post by benny »

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to provide a quick update. After unsuccessfully attempting to get a set of Dip Davis cowl latches, I tried submitting a request again last week to the website. Well this time it worked! I received a prompt response and within a few days received a set of latches. I don't know if the web request form was broken before but it worked this time!

If you are interested it seems like the website is working now.

Ben
2723D

Post by 2723D »

I can confirm! Thank you Ben for the update, I was able to finally get through as well after many months of trying. They have an aol account still, so that may have something to do with it. Regardless, cowl latches are on the way! woot!