Correct Prop Bolts?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

reecewallace

Correct Prop Bolts?

Post by reecewallace »

Hi all,

Took my spinner off today to retime my magnetos, and my mechanic informed me my prop bolts may be the wrong type and to do some research.

It looks like the p/n on the head of the bolt is NAS 7506, whereas in the parts catalog it reads AN6-H-45

Are these bolts acceptable? It's on my 56' 170b O300-A
Attachments
IMG_8264.JPG
IMG_8265.JPG
- Reece
1956 Cessna 170b
Nanaimo, BC Canada
c170b53

Re: Correct Prop Bolts?

Post by c170b53 »

Just a quick look at things, it looks like at least a few bolts have had the bolt heads drilled out for the lockwire, interesting in that that’s old school but not really done to bolts that have reduced heads. Generally drilling holes in bolts sets up stress risers, maybe you drill a full size head of a generic low grade steel bolt in a situation where the bolt was not subjected to high vibrations or load, but we are taking old old school. I’m not saying it can’t be done but generally its not done.
Take a wire brush and remove the primer to get a better look at the bolt head markings so we know exactly what you have. Likely the bolt has sufficient strength, that should be confirmed but more importantly with bolt substitutions, the grip length and thread length have to be correct. A quick check would be to look behind the prop flange and ensure that bolt has fully gripped the prop flange bushing. What cannot be seen is whether the bolt is thread bound, likely not but in such a situation the last thread bound in the fastener can also set up a stress riser. Its not a bad idea to remove a prop periodically and check for corrosion and also check the backing plate which often has cracks in it often with high time engines.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I believe those are NAS1306 bolts and if so, are NOT appropriate for propellers because they are SHEAR bolts… not to be used in Tension. (edited for error)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Reece,
Are those bolts engine, airframe, or propeller parts? The Continental IPC lists p/n 24771 in fig. 4-26 as a 3/8 X 4" long bolt. The illustration seems to indicate that is for a wood prop. McCauley also lists prop bolts in their MacCauley Propeller Systems Owner/Operator Information Manual. We talked about that in this thread. That Manual actually shows two entries for the McCauley 1A170/DM propeller but the bottom entry is what they specify for the C-170.
Screen Shot 2022-01-05 at 8.15.17 PM.png
I'd really be interested in knowing what the difference is between the McCauley bolts and a regular AN6H-45 bolt, the p/n in the C-170B IPC.
Gary
mit

Post by mit »

Tim
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

That’s a great resource, thanks for posting it.

Aircraft Spruce used to publish in their old catalog an excellent description of aircraft hardware. Their “new” method (online catalog) of presenting their products is not nearly as informative. Their new method describes NAS 1306 as “shear” bolts.

The Cessna IPC makes assumptions (along with some occasional errors) that no alterations or modifications have occurred since the IPC was published, regardless of engine, prop, or other vendor updates/changes. So it is hazardous to declare things “correct” or “incorrect” in any particular instance.

The McCauley prop bolt kits are very expensive (for what they are) and less costly alternatives are available but it’s important to use hardware approved for the service. I’m pretty certain that “Shear” bolts are not appropriate for prop installations. Jim made an excellent observation on the drilled “thin” head NAS bolts in the original post, and I think it would be best to replace those Reecewallace.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Thanks Tim, flipping through the material sure brought back memories. Lots of this stuff we learned as we went. I think Douglas aircraft used every technique in their aircraft.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Jim,
Given the U.S. security concerns outlined on the first page of that manual you, as a Canadian, need to immediately delete that download! :wink: Quite ironic that the download comes from a Mexican website.
Gary
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

n2582d wrote:Jim,
Given the U.S. security concerns outlined on the first page of that manual you, as a Canadian, need to immediately delete that download! :wink: Quite ironic that the download comes from a Mexican website.
…AND…. we can only use that data for MILITARY purposes. :twisted:
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Never got to work on MISSILEs, everyone’s lucky there but gosh I wish I could have. :D
Miles was probably lucky to have tinkered with a few.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS