Skis on a Cessna 170

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

AK170Ragwing

Skis on a Cessna 170

Post by AK170Ragwing »

I know that there are a couple of threads on this subject and it seems to me that the Federal AWB 2500 Skis are thought to be the best option for the 170? I was curious what I should expect to pay for a nice pair of these skis? Does the 170 have enough power with a stock C145 engine installed with a set of skis on the airplane or is it too underpowered? I'm sure it's not ideal but is it adequate power wise? I have zero experience with skis on aircraft except when I was stationed up in Alaska and we had skis on our Blackhawks. Looking for insight in what I should look for if I want to put a set of skis on my 48 ragwing in the future. Just trying to make an informed decision before I start looking to make a large purchase. Thanks for all the help and expertise.
brianm

Re: Skis on a Cessna 170

Post by brianm »

A set of very nice looking Federal AWB 2500s just popped up today on the Facebook "Bush and Float Plane Classifieds" group. Asking price for skis, axles, and pump is $9,800. I'm no expert but that seems in line with what I've seen in the past.
Brian M
N2669V - '48
dogone

Post by dogone »

I have skis on my 170b . Hydraulic a2500a . With 180 hp and constant speed prop they are a lot of fun. A buddy had them o n his 170 with 145hp and he felt two on board was all it was safe for.
Bill_Green

Post by Bill_Green »

Before buying a set of skis for your 170, or any airplane for that matter, I would certainly recommend getting some experience with ski flying. Lots of variables involved, starting with the snow conditions on the proposed runway area. Whereas your typical maintained wheel plane runway will be in more or less the same condition from one day to the next, snow conditions can and will vary widely. Sometimes even from one hour to the next. Lots to learn about snow. If your local situation permits, straight wheel replacement skis will generally be cheaper, lighter, and equal to or better in performance than wheelskis. Ski flying can be lots of fun so I'm not at all trying to dissuade you from trying it. Best thing would be to get some ski specific training. Or at the very least do some flying with experienced ski pilots. Then you can make an informed choice on the type of skis that would work best for you.
AK170Ragwing

Post by AK170Ragwing »

brianm wrote:A set of very nice looking Federal AWB 2500s just popped up today on the Facebook "Bush and Float Plane Classifieds" group. Asking price for skis, axles, and pump is $9,800. I'm no expert but that seems in line with what I've seen in the past.
I saw those pop up, one of the reasons why I was asking about them. :D
AK170Ragwing

Post by AK170Ragwing »

Bill_Green wrote:Before buying a set of skis for your 170, or any airplane for that matter, I would certainly recommend getting some experience with ski flying. Lots of variables involved, starting with the snow conditions on the proposed runway area. Whereas your typical maintained wheel plane runway will be in more or less the same condition from one day to the next, snow conditions can and will vary widely. Sometimes even from one hour to the next. Lots to learn about snow. If your local situation permits, straight wheel replacement skis will generally be cheaper, lighter, and equal to or better in performance than wheelskis. Ski flying can be lots of fun so I'm not at all trying to dissuade you from trying it. Best thing would be to get some ski specific training. Or at the very least do some flying with experienced ski pilots. Then you can make an informed choice on the type of skis that would work best for you.
Great advice Bill! I plan on trying to get as much experience as possible. I definitely plan on being well trained before I attempt any winter ops on my own! I will probably hold off on buying a set of skis for a while like you suggested.
mit

Post by mit »

Inquired to Wipaire May 2020.

Hi Tim,

I had to do a bit of digging on the skis as we don’t see many set up for 170s, but they are priced at $27,500.

--Amy
Amy Gesch
Product and Piston Aircraft Sales Manager
Wipaire, Inc.
agesch@wipaire.com | www.wipaire.com
Phone: 651.414.6839
Mobile: 952.239.6890
Tim
AK170Ragwing

Post by AK170Ragwing »

mit wrote:Inquired to Wipaire May 2020.

Hi Tim,

I had to do a bit of digging on the skis as we don’t see many set up for 170s, but they are priced at $27,500.

--Amy
Amy Gesch
Wipaire, Inc.
agesch@wipaire.com | http://www.wipaire.com
8O 27.5k? That's a bit much for me.
mit

Post by mit »

AK170Ragwing wrote:
mit wrote:Inquired to Wipaire May 2020.

Hi Tim,

--Amy
Amy Gesch
Wipaire, Inc.
agesch@wipaire.com | http://www.wipaire.com
8O 27.5k? That's a bit much for me.

:lol: :lol: It was for me too!
Tim
mschlender

Post by mschlender »

Check your insurance.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

mschlender wrote:Check your insurance.
Can we expand on that?
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

You didn't mention where you would be flying on skis but there are quite a few stock 170s in Alaska on skis. The best performing/lightest weight skis would be the straight ones without wheels/extra drag if you don't have to operate off of dry surfaces.

Like previously mentioned, get lots of practice in large open areas (within walking distance of help) in different snow conditions prior to venturing out into the wilderness. The learning curve is pretty steep. Remember, you don't have ANY brakes! Be sure and lay down a set of tracks anywhere you will be landing over frozen water, don't stop but go around and come back, and look at the tracks to see if they are dark, which will indicate if there is water/overflow under the snow. If there is, go somewhere else, overflow is NO FUN!

I live on a 1400' strip outside of Anchorage and we have had several stock 170s operate on the strip with straight skis over the years. We drag the strip with a 2x6 lumber home-made sled that consolidates the snow and allows it to harden.

I haven't checked prices lately but historically, a used set of Landess fiberglas 2500's would sell for $2500-$3000.
Last edited by hilltop170 on Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

My insurance company, Avemco, does not charge me extra for skis over wheels but I'm also past their minimum limit on experience so it might be different for new ski pilots. Each company will be different.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
AK170Ragwing

Post by AK170Ragwing »

hilltop170 wrote:You didn't mention where you would be flying on skis but there are quite a few stock 170s in Alaska on skis. The best performing/lightest weight skis would be the straight ones without wheels/extra drag if you don't have to operate off of dry surfaces.

Like previously mentioned, get lots of practice in large open areas (within walking distance of help) in different snow conditions prior to venturing out into the wilderness. The learning curve is pretty steep. Remember, you don't have ANY brakes! Be sure and lay down a set of tracks anywhere you will be landing over frozen water, don't stop but go around and come back, and look at the tracks to see if they are dark, which will indicate if there is water/overflow under the snow. If there is, go somewhere else, overflow is NO FUN!

I live on a 1400' strip outside of Anchorage and we have had several stock 170s operate on the strip with straight skis over the years. We drag the strip with a 2x6 lumber home-made sled that consolidates the snow and allows it to harden.

I haven't checked prices lately but historically, a used set of Landess fiberglas 2500's would sell for $2500-$3000.
Well....We bought a remote piece of property near the Skwentna area that we plan on building a remote cabin on. The strip out there is government owned and about 3000 feet long, I believe it's a gravel strip. We are still searching and haven't settled on a specific place with road access yet (near a town). My wife is planning on taking a few traveling medical assignments around Alaska so we are going to try and find a piece of property that we like and build a place. I'm assuming that whatever airpark or area we choose would have a 1500 to 2000ish foot strip that would probably be gravel or grass? I'm assuming that it would probably be a little north of Anchorage or possibly on the Keni Peninsula.