Outer Windshield Center Strip

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

dstates

Re: Outer Windshield Center Strip

Post by dstates »

My new LP Aero STC windshield is finally installed. I’m happy I went with it now. We did rivet the top retaining piece in and then installed the windshield. It took quite a bit of effort to push the top of the windshield into the retaining pice, but we got it done!

Doug
Attachments
F46DE625-3E94-44E2-91A8-F80FE79F9BD9.jpeg
N1235D - 1951 170A - SN: 20118
Karl Towle

Post by Karl Towle »

dstates wrote:We did rivet the top retaining piece in and then installed the windshield. It took quite a bit of effort to push the top of the windshield into the retaining piece, but we got it done!
Nothing looks quite a nice as a band new windshield - like yours!

Question though: Did I read correctly; you set all the rivets in the locking strip before pulling/pushing the windshield into place? I'd love to hear how you accomplished that w/pics if available. There's a 9 March post in this thread describing a less-stress solution.

Karl
dstates

Post by dstates »

Karl Towle wrote:
dstates wrote:We did rivet the top retaining piece in and then installed the windshield. It took quite a bit of effort to push the top of the windshield into the retaining piece, but we got it done!
Question though: Did I read correctly; you set all the rivets in the locking strip before pulling/pushing the windshield into place? I'd love to hear how you accomplished that w/pics if available. There's a 9 March post in this thread describing a less-stress solution.

Karl

Karl,

I had read your post on the 9th as well as Jim's where he had done it with all the rivets in place. My backup plan if it was too difficult to get the windshield in with the rivets already in, was to drill out the ones in the middle. With two people and some thin aluminum shims/ramps we were able to push the aft edge of the windshield into position. It took some patience, but we waited for a warm day and basically slapped the top of the window with our open palms to move it aft. I'm not sure I would do that way again, but it did work. I'm not sure there is an easy way. If you waited to buck the middle rivets after the windshield was in, it would be difficult (without some sort of scaffolding) to control the rivet gun on the top of the fuselage.

Thanks again for your help!
Doug
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Doug, now that you remind me, I too used thin aluminum strips to “ Ramp” the shield into the retainer ( sorry I forgot that part).
Looks nice, what’s. next ? :D
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
dstates

Post by dstates »

c170b53 wrote: Looks nice, what’s. next ? :D
There is always something.... While looking for a dropped nut on the floor I found the head of a rivet that popped off. I found the headless rivet by the RH gear. Will hopefully be able to replace that rivet today with my A&P. Then after that we take it outside for an engine run to finish the annual inspection and I'm back in the air. Next after that is I'm going to try to learn how to polish. I played around with polishing my elevators while I had them off this winter.
Doug
Attachments
polish.jpg
Karl Towle

Post by Karl Towle »

I'd say you've covered the "learned how," and will now face the "learn how much time" part. Your sample looks great!