Engineering Metals

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Engineering Metals

Post by GAHorn »

A recent discussion on tailwheel leaf springs and an off-line discussion of various matters that complicate the maintenance of leaf springs prompts me to post this link …. which will not address that topic directly…but will give an understanding of just how complicated such things as spring-design and maintenance can be.

We often think of metal as being an easily understood product which we can bend, drill, machine, heat, or cut with relative impunity. We also don’t often consider how the surface condition of metal can have serious effects on performance of the part. Rust is not simply cosmetic… it can seriously affect the “deep strength” and plasticity of a spring, for example.

Here’s a short video on metal engineering that will not solve your rusting springs problem…but will give an idea of how it’s not as simple as we would like to think…. (not a video for early morning after many cocktails): :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaGJwOPg2kU

(Here’s the one for the later morning coffee cup… at 15-minutes a crankshaft is forged)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEatTMQsGtg

And, to Thank our Canadian friends contributions (this is for You, Jim!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiHxUyv5kQ0
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
ghostflyer

Re: Engineering Metals

Post by ghostflyer »

Just watched those videos , OMG did OHS exist then ? It’s totally unbelievable how they did that process those days . Many years ago I worked in a iron ore smelter for 2 weeks . Too hard for me . I left . We had to work with full rubber type face masks for our full 8 hour shift in extreme hot conditions . Our shirts were made of a thick type of canvas with matching in materials trousers . Then a thick leather and fibreglass Matt apron. People now complain about wearing a thin paper mask for a couple of hours .
PS. After the smelter ,I got a job in a bank ,wearing a suit and a “white”shirt and tie.
johneeb

Re: Engineering Metals

Post by johneeb »

ghostflyer wrote:Just watched those videos , OMG did OHS exist then ? It’s totally unbelievable how they did that process those days . Many years ago I worked in a iron ore smelter for 2 weeks . Too hard for me . I left . We had to work with full rubber type face masks for our full 8 hour shift in extreme hot conditions . Our shirts were made of a thick type of canvas with matching in materials trousers . Then a thick leather and fibreglass Matt apron. People now complain about wearing a thin paper mask for a couple of hours .
PS. After the smelter ,I got a job in a bank ,wearing a suit and a “white”shirt and tie.
So as Clyde Barrow said while thanking Henry Ford for making such fast cars "Bank Robbers dressed better then iron ore smelters"
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"