Jury Strut Chaffing Prevention

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

drew.fultz90

Jury Strut Chaffing Prevention

Post by drew.fultz90 »

Working on some odds and ends on my ‘48 and was wondering what is recommended to put in between the jury strut clamps and main lift struts to prevent chaffing? It almost appears like electrical tape was used on mine before it slowly worked its way out over time and needs replacing, I’ve seen one post mention just using packing tape as well. Just curious as to what others have done/recommend.

Thanks,

Drew
Starkville, MS
N4179V
GAHorn

Re: Jury Strut Chaffing Prevention

Post by GAHorn »

Teflon Tape might be good for that: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... kkey=12835
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
DWood

Post by DWood »

Electrical tape has worked on my 48 for years.
gfeher

Post by gfeher »

I have a number of cubs based at my airport. They use one of the following under the jury strut clamps on their planes: electrical tape, silicone tape (e.g., rescue tape), or stick-on film obtained from a sign shop. From what I can tell, they all seem to work pretty well. The stick-on film is thinner than the others, appears to stick better than electrical tape, and you can get it in clear. So it may have a slight advantage if those are important to you.
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY
'52 170B N2315D s/n 20467 C-145-2
Experimental J3 Cub Copy N7GW O-200