Overhaul Quotes

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

IP076

Overhaul Quotes

Post by IP076 »

For what it’s worth, I thought I’d drop this here for anyone looking:

Got three quotes today:

$26000 from Okanagan, this is USD.

$35-something from Poplar Grove Airmotive.

$39400 from Western Skyways.

Best I can tell all using the same parts.
mit

Re: Overhaul Quotes

Post by mit »

I got mine overhauled just a few years ago here in Alaska by Custom Aircraft in Palmer 27,000. That was more than I paid for the plane. :?

Note to self, Post 1000 :D
Last edited by mit on Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

A friend here on our field was happy with both the price and quality of having his C-145/O-300 overhauled at Signature Engines near Cincinnati, OH. He is closing in on 100 hours with no issues.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
mmcmillan2

Post by mmcmillan2 »

Thanks for sharing. That sure is a lot of lettuce!
170B owner, KCFD, CFI(I), ATP Multi
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Yes, but still a good investment considering how the value of these airplanes is climbing.

I keep hoping someday mine will be worth what I have in it! 8O :lol:
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
eskflyer

Post by eskflyer »

thats funny get back what we have in them lol. I never will getting close to 80G's now and I know that Keith had about hat when I bought it from him and he lost money too.
AA16, SHORTWING and SPAMCAN FLYER, JP
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Re the quotes, ouch, ouch and ouch.
Sorry for this drift but I was wondering today what the price difference was between a new 170B and a 180 in the day. What’s an O/H for a 0470 ?
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Felt like I robbed a bank yesterday, paid $6.00 Canadian a US gal at CYHE (Hope) whereas its 7.50 elsewhere in the lower mainland.
Going forward looks like the bank account is about to be stress tested.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

c170b53 wrote:Felt like I robbed a bank yesterday, paid $6.00 Canadian a US gal at CYHE (Hope) whereas its 7.50 elsewhere in the lower mainland.
Going forward looks like the bank account is about to be stress tested.
It’s $4.45 - $4.75 locally here in Central Texas…so Jim…COME ON DOWN! :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
daedaluscan

Post by daedaluscan »

My thought process was that an O-300 overhaul is about the same as an 0-360 overhaul. The cores have a similar value. The Delaire STC (15k usd) + labour + prop was the extra cost of the conversion and in today’s market an O-360 170B commands more than that over an O-300.

I also just wanted the power.
Charlie

1956 170B C-GDRG #27019
IP076

Post by IP076 »

Yeah, the 360 upgrade is tempting. The quotes I got from Stoots a while back was about $80k for a motor, STC, prop, and parts. That’s a lot of cheddar…

Anyone done the “export an engine to Canada for repair and return” before? Looking at what the customs implications are. I don’t think there’s a big implication on the Canadian side as it’s temporary, but I’d guess there will be duty due on return to the US.

I’m extra interested as the shipping will likely be via my personal vehicle.
falco

Post by falco »

I was told there is no US duty levied on aircraft parts.

This was fifteen or more years ago, when I had a shipment of Canadian Sitka spruce imported as 'aircraft parts'
May still be true.

Pete
falco

Post by falco »

double post...
Last edited by falco on Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

In the overhaul process there are a number of components that have to be changed . So where are these overhaul facilities getting these new parts . Continental isn’t supporting this engine any more . For example the oil sumps are all very corroded internally. They should be replaced. Paying out $80,000 for a engine up grade is eye watering. I am sure there are zero timed O-360 engines a lot cheaper than what Stoots are charging . Plus you can sell your old prop and the continental core for a few dollars. The only unknow here is the labour charge .
PS. I was doing a market value and condition assessment for a client and insurance company the other day on a Cessna 172 e . This aircraft had done 3,000 hrs and was in pristine condition. Interior was redone about 18 months in leather. Paint job was 3 years old but hangared. The avionics were very dated and looked original. BUT the broker wanted $95,000 . Gulp,cough. When I had the top cowl removed and I looked down ,I noticed the interior of the bottom cowl had recently had been wiped cleaned but left some oil streaking.
The “clap trap” that the broker was going on about that you can’t buy a good 172 these days etc , and he had 7 other interested parties. I then past the remark about the oil on the bottom of the cowl and baffles . He laughed “all continentals leak’’ was his comment . Most knowledgeable people in the industry know this ,was the next statement .
Up goes the red flags …. Why was he attacking my credit ability ? Some thing isn’t right here . My client was hovering around saying it looks great and was totally in love with the aircraft . The broker and my client was already talking about how the money was going to be transferred.
OK gents let’s have the bottom cowl off, was my response . WHY? The broker remarked . I would just like to have a better look underneath please. The broker stated to undo the screws and was going on about this is all BS ,bah bah . The bottom cowl came off . The firewall had oil all over it also. I placed my hand and fingers in the intake baffle around the sump and run my fingers along the sump with some pressure . The sump was covered in oil. Then “POP” my finger penetrated the sump . Oil really started to flow out . I will not write what the exchange with the broker and myself was, [it wasn’t nice]. I told my client do not not touch this aircraft ,I would run from it. My report to the insurance will include the events of the day and condition of the aircraft . Looking back on it ,when I felt that sump it had some lumps on the surface ,I was trying to displace some “dirt”. I think it was glue of some type . Don’t you love scammers . They make life interesting .
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

There certainly are some items which must be “new” for a complete “overhaul” (through bolts come to mind) but those parts are still available. Most other required replacement parts only need recertification. When we visited the Continental factory during the Gulf Shores convention we were not given any indication Continental “no longer supports” this engine. In fact, they gave excellent support to several of our Members who subsequently experienced issues…. However, it is true that some parts are difficult or impossible ..such as an 8-bolt crankshaft…. but the engine can be converted to a 6-bolt prop and use the still-produced O-300-C/D/E crankshaft, as it’s the same as the current-production IO-360 engines.

Most 170 owners do not “overhaul” their engines despite the common use of that term…. They actually perform a “major repair” and thereby avoid many mandatory replacement items but end up with what is essentially the same result (part 91 operators, of course.)

Since ghostflyer is in the “Peoples Republic of Australia”…. his and other “off-shore” operators often face more restrictive rules on such matters.

(Which reminds me of a humorous comment I received from another forums-participant who once lived in New Hampshire where the state Motto is “Live Free or Die”. … this person had recently been assigned to a new job-position which required him to move to California… and his email-closing to me was “Live Free or Here!”) :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)