Overhaul Quotes

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

mit

Re: Overhaul Quotes

Post by mit »

ghostflyer wrote:In the overhaul process there are a number of components that have to be changed . So where are these overhaul facilities getting these new parts . Continental isn’t supporting this engine any more . For example the oil sumps are all very corroded internally. They should be replaced. Paying out $80,000 for a engine up grade is eye watering. I am sure there are zero timed O-360 engines a lot cheaper than what Stoots are charging . Plus you can sell your old prop and the continental core for a few dollars. The only unknow here is the labour charge .
PS. I was doing a market value and condition assessment for a client and insurance company the other day on a Cessna 172 e . This aircraft had done 3,000 hrs and was in pristine condition. Interior was redone about 18 months in leather. Paint job was 3 years old but hangared. The avionics were very dated and looked original. BUT the broker wanted $95,000 . Gulp,cough. When I had the top cowl removed and I looked down ,I noticed the interior of the bottom cowl had recently had been wiped cleaned but left some oil streaking.
The “clap trap” that the broker was going on about that you can’t buy a good 172 these days etc , and he had 7 other interested parties. I then past the remark about the oil on the bottom of the cowl and baffles . He laughed “all continentals leak’’ was his comment . Most knowledgeable people in the industry know this ,was the next statement .
Up goes the red flags …. Why was he attacking my credit ability ? Some thing isn’t right here . My client was hovering around saying it looks great and was totally in love with the aircraft . The broker and my client was already talking about how the money was going to be transferred.
OK gents let’s have the bottom cowl off, was my response . WHY? The broker remarked . I would just like to have a better look underneath please. The broker stated to undo the screws and was going on about this is all BS ,bah bah . The bottom cowl came off . The firewall had oil all over it also. I placed my hand and fingers in the intake baffle around the sump and run my fingers along the sump with some pressure . The sump was covered in oil. Then “POP” my finger penetrated the sump . Oil really started to flow out . I will not write what the exchange with the broker and myself was, [it wasn’t nice]. I told my client do not not touch this aircraft ,I would run from it. My report to the insurance will include the events of the day and condition of the aircraft . Looking back on it ,when I felt that sump it had some lumps on the surface ,I was trying to displace some “dirt”. I think it was glue of some type . Don’t you love scammers . They make life interesting .
Holly crap that was a tough read!
Tim
daedaluscan

Post by daedaluscan »

Is this corrosion an issue with all Continental engines? My son just purchased an O-200
Charlie

1956 170B C-GDRG #27019
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

daedaluscan wrote:Is this corrosion an issue with all Continental engines? My son just purchased an O-200
If you are asking about the oil sump…no…. the O-200 has a steel “kidney” tank instead of a cast aluminum or cast magnesium sump.

But all engines are subject to internal corrosion from atmospheric humidity, combustion-gases, and such. Inactivity is especially hard on them.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

GAHorn wrote:
daedaluscan wrote:Is this corrosion an issue with all Continental engines? My son just purchased an O-200
If you are asking about the oil sump…no…. the O-200 has a steel “kidney” tank instead of a cast aluminum or cast magnesium sump.

But all engines are subject to internal corrosion from atmospheric humidity, combustion-gases, and such. Inactivity is especially hard on them.
There are plenty of patched kidney tanks in the field from cracking and other such damage. They are steel and repairs are practically unlimited.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
daedaluscan

Post by daedaluscan »

Guess I should have known that. Steel doesn't scare me the same way as corrosion from the inside out. Th 172 story is downright terrifying.
Charlie

1956 170B C-GDRG #27019
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Our long-time Historian Cleo Bickford recommended during a “pre-buy” to take a phillips screwdriver and try to “punch” a hole in the sump just forward of the drain-plug on the sump. He opined that if there were any serious corrosion that it’d break-on-through and reveal the corrosion.

He didn’t say what to tell the seller after you’d punched the hole…. but I opine that if you do this….. you actually DO buy the sump at least. :mrgreen:

Back on the topic of “overhauls” and mandatory replacement parts… The thru- bolts are commonly quoted as some of the parts too-expensive …and therefore the reason to perform a “major repair” instead of a true “overhaul”…. But keep in mind that those bolts receive years (decades in some cases) of exposure to a corrosive environment and are often pitted and scored from that, especially engines that suffered long periods of inactivity…. So inspect those thru-bolts closely if you re-use them and reject any with evidence of corrosion/pitting/scoring and you might even consider NDT (non-destructive-testing) them before re-use.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

I will not repeat what the broker and myself said over the hole in the sump ,but the look on my clients face was priceless . It’s in my opinion a hole was there and some one had glued it up. At least my client came crashing back to earth when that happened [not figurely ]. Yes, I have filed a report to the insurance company and the authorities ,because I do not want some buying that aircraft and the glue giving away and a engine stoppage and maybe a flight incident occurring. I will NOT be buying him a new sump either.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

ghostflyer wrote:I will not repeat what the broker and myself said over the hole in the sump ,but the look on my clients face was priceless . It’s in my opinion a hole was there and some one had glued it up. At least my client came crashing back to earth when that happened [not figurely ]. Yes, I have filed a report to the insurance company and the authorities ,because I do not want some buying that aircraft and the glue giving away and a engine stoppage and maybe a flight incident occurring. I will NOT be buying him a new sump either.
He was lucky You found that. (and I wasn’t suggesting you should pay for a sump)

Ajax Welding in San Antonio USED-to weld-up these sumps. DivCo may have also. But neither will do that anymore and I believe it’s because that repair method is not reliable.

During the Kelowna, B.C. convention (2005?) we visited the Okanagan engines shop and they showed us their method of PREVENTIVE repair… a corroded sump which has not yet perforated can be reliably epoxied using a special process for which they have Approval. Several of our Members have had it done and they have expressed complete satisfaction. However, Okanagan will not repair a sump which has already perforated or has been previously welded.

Okanagan Aero Engine Ltd
Mailling Address:
1-5550 Aerospace Dr.
Kelowna, BC V1V 1S1
CA

Phone: (250) 765-9718

Fax: (250) 765-8322