The cost of freight

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

ghostflyer

The cost of freight

Post by ghostflyer »

Today I tried to order a part from spruce p/n 05-11457 and it’s cost was $36 . It was a new tail wheel spring some bath chain and a couple of clips . Then the crunch came .
The freight to the “Peoples Republic of Australia “ [quote George] was and including part cost was $318.04 us .[the freight was $260 us. ] . then the 8130-3 was another $50. This is in US dollars. So the total in “Peoples Republic of Australia “dollars it was $511.90 . BUT, that not including GST [goods and service tax] which is 10% . So landed cost to me for these springs,chain,clips is $563.00 au dollars. This was for a $36 part. Please some one tell me my maths is wrong. Plus I haven’t put in Customs and credit card handling charges. We have only FEDEX .

Ps. We “used” to buy and import aircraft from around the world and put them in shipping containers and bring them to Australia .
Just asked for a quote for a 40ft shipping container from the USA to Australia . Before covid it was about $6000 with insurance of $2200.
Now. It’s $19000 to $30000 au for a shipping container and insurance [nearly impossible to procure, I couldn’t get a price] and instead of about 3 months travel time ,it’s now around 18 months .
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: The cost of freight

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

David, I can send you 5 lb of stuff worth $36 to Australia via USPS Priority Mail Express® International for $101.75 and 10 lb so stuff worth $36 for $137.15. The value of the stuff can be up to $200.

Ask Spruce to do what I can do. It's not magic.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Firstly thank you for your offer. Spruce will not budge on using another shipper. I have asked George for help this morning .I have found some chain and springs here and only need the clips. Trying to buy a concord battery is impossible due to covid , parts are very rare on the stocks of a lot of companies here . While my aircraft battery tests ok it’s a little too old and I will put in my sons ride on mower. So the search will go on. Your offer is greatly appreciated as I was getting desperate and was trying to think out of the box.
Recently I picked up a new Garmin G5 from a dealer before covid prices and restrictions . It appears I got it dirt cheap. It’s a investment ,it’s worth more now than when I first purchased it. That’s rare in aviation.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

David, I just checked my email after reading this thread and found your email… and yes, I’ll certainly order and mail those clips to you…(see my return-email)…. but I hope you are not seeking “compression springs” for which they claim those clips are intended. I suggest what you want are “tension springs” for the tailwheel.

So-called “compression” springs… when reaching their limit… become “solid” and can over-stress the rudder control circuit…particularly in later models post-serial 26505 with the additional steering cable/pulley system…. We’ve received reports and pictures where the pulley brackets have been pulled from the bulkheads.
Tailwheel Steering Post-SN-26505
Tailwheel Steering Post-SN-26505
Spruce has complicated matters a bit with their “new” on-line catalog. What used-to be called “Piper” Heavy Duty springs is the item actually used on the Cessna 170, Now Spruce is offering what appears to be two different heavy-duty steering spring/chain products (in addition to their lightweight/standard offering (which I’ll not provide a link since it’s not worthwhile.)

THIS is the kit which is best for a 170:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... nector.php

and the following is a new offering … I don’t have any feedback on it…but it appears to have slightly smaller springs.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... nector.php
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Thank you for your advise , I will only use tension springs as I have seen a number of years ago the results of compression springs fitted to 170. It was in 2003 at Oshkosh I was wandering along the lines of some Cessna 170,s when I spotted the damage to the airframe of a 170. The owner came from Texas and his first name was Burt . He looked like Burt Reynolds but he wasn’t . We had a good chat about the issue .
brian.olson

Post by brian.olson »

I'm happy to help out, too. My hangar is only a few hundred yards from Spruce "East" and I can just swing by and pick up whatever you need. PM me if you would like.

Brian
Brian
1950 170A
N5762C s/n 19716
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Thank you gents for the offers , it’s greatly appreciated. My clips have been organised . In the near future I will have to go back to the USA as I need a holiday . We love Hawaii . Honolulu is like New York but it’s on the beach and a little more relaxed.