Trim tab control wheel removal

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

mekkes2020

Trim tab control wheel removal

Post by mekkes2020 »

To remove the trim tab control wheel, the three rivets indicated in the attached photo can be drilled out and later replaced. But if anyone has done this, did anyone find that it made more sense to use bolts and locknuts to later secure it, much like the right side? Or for that matter, did anyone end up using bolts to secure the entire top tunnel plate that the trim wheel and fuel selector are associated with? This is a 1948 to be specific, and I have not been sucessful in digging up cockpit interior photos showing detail in that area.

One other possibility that I could be overlooking is if somehow the Torrington bearing easily comes out of the attached left cover piece. Seemed well attached or pressed in on the removed right side cover so that did not feel like a reasonable way to go.
DSCN0477-edit3.jpg
Thanks for your time,

Greg Mekkes
GAHorn

Re: Trim tab control wheel removal

Post by GAHorn »

That substitution of fasteners would look inviting for sure. Also, a great time to take a close look at that fuel selector valve for service and lubrication. (Contact Members Les Partridge and/or Bob Terhune from the Directory for their service-remedy for that particular valve.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
mekkes2020

Re: Trim tab control wheel removal

Post by mekkes2020 »

Thank you for the input on this! And yes the fuel selector valve will be coming out while I'm in the neighborhood!