Tempest/F&M filter adapter AD

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Richgj3

Tempest/F&M filter adapter AD

Post by Richgj3 »

While looking at my installation done in 1992 it appears the gasket in question has already been changed to the copper gasket called out in the SB and AD. So I spoke with the IA who maintained the airplane for many years. He says there was a service bulletin prior to 2007 which called for that change and he did it. He also did the original installation. This 170 sat in a hangar from 2007 until I bought it in January of 2020.

Question, does anybody remember that service bulletin? Or perhaps the SB was for something else and he put it back together with a copper gasket. I have a ton of documents for this airplane but of course not that SB or a logbook entry. I’ve done an internet search and come up empty other than the current SB/AD

Thanks.
Rich Giannotti CFI-A. CFI-I SE.
1952 C170B
N2444D s/n 20596
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Tempest/F&M filter adapter AD

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Rich, you should know that originally the F&M adapter used a AN crush gasket. The adapter always had a reputation of oil seepage likely from inadequate torque due to the need for a 1" square socket no one had. The owner of F&M, looking to improve his adapter no doubt developed the fiber gasket. The owner died a year of two later. The fiber seal was suppose to be changed out at 300 hrs.

I mention this because if your installation was in '92, it probably used an AN gasket to begin with though at sometime someone probably replaced that with the new improved fiber replacement or maybe it has always been an AN gasket.

I don't know what your motive is looking for this old SB. It really is old news and superseded with the latest SB and AD for which you need to be in compliance. You can tell you have a copper gasket. Make sure it's torqued properly. And comply with drilling a safety hole and safety the adapter to help keep it from rotating went changing the filter.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Richgj3

Post by Richgj3 »

Thanks Bruce

My motive was to find out why that gasket was changed but your explanation makes sense. The directions with the STC from 1992 says to install the “gaskets supplied” but it doesn’t say what they were.

Annual is starting in a few weeks so this is part of getting the ducks in a row.

Rich
Rich Giannotti CFI-A. CFI-I SE.
1952 C170B
N2444D s/n 20596
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Bruces’ synopsis is “Right On!” This adapter was orignially marketed as an ‘El Reno” adapter until the STC/FAA-PMA approvals were completed by FM Enterprises, Inc, in Borger, Tx. The first installation instructions used the AN900 series copper crush gaskets, which then morphed into the fiber gasket to prevent the adapter from rotating so easily during filter changes. The fiber gaskets had a service-life and became hard to find after the STC-holder died. Subsequently the FM-Enterprises, Inc’ ownership changed hands (several times( and now it’s Tempest. The combination of AN900 gaskets coupled with safety-wire to prevent adapter rotations is hoped to be the final difficulty with this (otherwise good, IMO) installation.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Torque table for any size copper or aluminum crush gasket. The thread pitch and angle of turn determines the proper amount of crush independent of actual torque required.
Crush washer torque table.
Crush washer torque table.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

hilltop170 wrote:Torque table for any size copper or aluminum crush gasket. The thread pitch and angle of turn determines the proper amount of crush independent of actual torque required.
Richard, this table is not correct for installing a F&M/Stratus oil filter adapter nor is it correct for installing a crush washer anywhere on any TCM engine as a specified torque is specified, not angle of turn as your chart shows.

For the F&M/Stratus filter adapter the torque per their install instructions is 65 ft. lb.

If you were installing the original 1.75-16 oil screen on a C-145/0300, TCM M-0 specifies the torque to be 41.6-43.3 ft. lb. The split of the new crush gasket towards the screen. If you are installing a 1.00-18 Scavenge Screen the torque is 16.7-17.5 ft. lb.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Bruce
I was posting the crush washer table for general interest, not as approved data for this application.

That said, there are lots of applications that do not have torque values and every time I have checked this table against specified torque values using a torque wrench, both values have been very close.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
Karl Towle

Post by Karl Towle »

One additional item worth mentioning is that the instructions say to install the two new copper crush washers, splits in both facing the engine.
Note: This is opposite the direction described in the original F&M instructions, or at least the instructions that came with the adapter I bought.
Who knows if this has changed multiple times as well? There is an article in the 1st Qtr 2021 issue of The 170 News describing complying with the SB/Install instructions on my C-170B - complete with pictures. (Issue can be downloaded here: https://cessna170.org/members/publications/
mmcmillan2

Post by mmcmillan2 »

Last year we complied with the SB by installing two copper washers. Now that this is an AD, do I need to do anything else?
170B owner, KCFD, CFI(I), ATP Multi
twang

Post by twang »

Am I missing something, or does this AD apply to every version of the O-300 EXCEPT the O-300-A?

https://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guid ... -04-04.pdf
pdb

Post by pdb »

[quote] [quote="twang"]Am I missing something, or does this AD apply to every version of the O-300 EXCEPT the O-300-A?

I emailed the FAA about just this point. I will post any reply I get.
Pete Brown
Anchorage, Alaska
N4563C 1953 170B
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2366/2527 ... 4e43_b.jpg
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

I have to agree with Richard on this one regarding his table of torques for gaskets of copper and aluminium. The FAA used to print aircraft standards book a number of years ago and have used that table numerous times when a torque reference wasn’t available in its maintenance manual. Allison and Garrett both many years ago used to state in their manuals “use normal proprietary torques” . I hated that as I then had to go to the front of the book and scratch around looking for different tables of torques.
pdb

Post by pdb »

This is the response I got to my question about whether or not the omission of the O-300A from the AD was an oversight. I advised Mr. Hamlin that the C-145 (predecessor to the O-300) and the O-300A powered thousands of C170s and 172s. These engines are all approved for the Tempest/Stratus CO-300 oil filter adapter.

Pete,
Honestly, it could have been an error. I tried to include every model for which the oil filter adapter, and using the installation data I got from Stratus, I couldn’t any aircraft using the O-300A that have the adapters installed. If you have info to the contrary, I would greatly appreciate your sharing it with me. Thank you very much for your response, as all help is most welcome.

Regards,
G. Douglas Hanlin
Atlanta Aircraft Certification Office
Propulsion Section, AIR-7A2
Phone: 404-474-5584
E-mail: george.hanlin@faa.gov

Sent: Wednesday, March 9, 2022 10:35 PM
To: Hanlin, George (FAA) <george.hanlin@faa.gov>
Subject: Attached AD

https://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guid ... -04-04.pdf

Hi George,

I noticed that this AD omits the Continental O-300A but all subsequent variants, O-300B,D,D and E are included. Was the exclusion of the O-300A an error?

Thanks,

Pete Brown
Anchorage Alaska
Pete Brown
Anchorage, Alaska
N4563C 1953 170B
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2366/2527 ... 4e43_b.jpg
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Yes, that is an error…. The Tempest Oil Filter Adaptor DOES apply to the O-300-A and if installed should be modified IAW the AD note. Thanks for catching that.

BTW: Those who prefer a REAL !” SQUARE SOCKET which is affordable…. Here’s an excellent one for $15: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Y ... UTF8&psc=1
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Pete,
That was a great catch! Definitely something the FAA should correct. Good to see the FAA has the O-300E listed though. It appears that was used on one British prototype.
Gary