Broken CHT - Replacement?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

reecewallace

Broken CHT - Replacement?

Post by reecewallace »

My CHT gauge stopped working in flight today, and I'm looking for a replacement/repair. My AME and I took the system apart, but couldn't see any broken wires or obvious signs.

I'm not sure if it's the gauge, wires, or probe—impossible to know without replacing each piece independently.

I figure it's best to replace the entire system if it's not too expensive.

Anyone know where I can get a replacement gauge, probe, and wires to match my current one? Or is there a similar slide in replacement for my panel? Current P/N is 29-2006

Mine only reads 1 cylinder, which I'm fine with
Attachments
IMG_9497.jpg
IMG_9496.jpg
- Reece
1956 Cessna 170b
Nanaimo, BC Canada
GAHorn

Re: Broken CHT - Replacement?

Post by GAHorn »

The gauge can be tested. The probe is the most common failure after harness integrity has been confirmed.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
bgiesbrecht

Post by bgiesbrecht »

Agreed, in my experience it is common for the gasket-style probe to fail especially after working on the plugs. I would start with simply replacing the gasket probe after checking the harness connections.
Former owner of:
1953 170B
N1977C
s/n 26122
reecewallace

Post by reecewallace »

GAHorn wrote:The gauge can be tested. The probe is the most common failure after harness integrity has been confirmed.
Two questions—

1. How do I test the gauge?
2. P/N for new probe?

I inspected the harness. It's old, but looks OK
- Reece
1956 Cessna 170b
Nanaimo, BC Canada
reecewallace

Post by reecewallace »

bgiesbrecht wrote:Agreed, in my experience it is common for the gasket-style probe to fail especially after working on the plugs. I would start with simply replacing the gasket probe after checking the harness connections.
Thanks for this. You can see my Q's to GAhorn above
- Reece
1956 Cessna 170b
Nanaimo, BC Canada
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

reecewallace wrote:
GAHorn wrote:The gauge can be tested. The probe is the most common failure after harness integrity has been confirmed.
Two questions—

1. How do I test the gauge?
2. P/N for new probe?

I inspected the harness. It's old, but looks OK
Aircraft Inst and Development has a phone number: 316 775-1144

If you remove the probe…. you can use an ohm meter to test for continuity…then heat the probe with a hair dryer and see if the resistance changes to indicate a working sensor.

J-type CHT probes (gasket style) are available from instrument repair shops and from aircraft suppliers such as Aircraft Spruce: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/search/search.php
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Reece,

I’m guessing that the gauge uses a thermocouple sensor, as George suggested. Is the sensor a gasket that fits under the spark plug? Are the sensor wires color-coded? If red-white, it’s a J-type thermocouple. If red-yellow, it’s K-type. The only thing that can go wrong with a thermocouple is that wires break and it goes open-circuit. Disconnect it from the gauge and measure the probe resistance. If it’s a few tenths of an ohm then it’s probably ok. To test the gauge you should find another probe of the same thermocouple type and see what it does.