Incipient Failure on a Taildragger

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Incipient Failure on a Taildragger

Post by GAHorn »

Here’s an interesting historical video which has value on its’ own…. but in addition… See if you notice the incipient failure in this video which occurs on Hitlers’ personal transport, a Condor 200. (The aircraft is piloted by a former Lufthansa captain, Hans Bauer …which surprises me that this was allowed to occur..as well as to raise my curiosity as to how it was dealt with as a mx-item on a trip which had to be ready for immediate departure from a war-zone. Surely as a taildragger the pilot knew of the problem… and yet it appears that others simply disregarded it even tho’ it was obviously seen by them.)

See if you can notice it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUNufk9vZ30
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
ghostflyer

Re: Incipient Failure on a Taildragger

Post by ghostflyer »

I noticed there was a xxxxxx xxxx xxx xxxx xxx .x xxxxxx even as the passengers left the aircraft .
(edited to hide the spoiler-alert)

I have been unreliably informed the condor had drum brakes and the brake shoes were activated by pneumatic air bags .brakes on… air pressure expanded the bags but when brakes off the air pressure is released via a cable from the pedals operated a valve on the gear and sometimes released the air and thus brakes off. As I said this info is unreliable as it came from a historian who is researching the German airforce during the 1st world war and the 2 nd world war. He also told me they used leather seals on the bearings and they used to leak. Rubber was in short supply during this period .
Last edited by ghostflyer on Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
David Sbur

Post by David Sbur »

Left main wheel fire at 1:45
WA State Rep. Intl Cessna 120-140 Asso.
Cessna 140 1946 N110V
Vancouver WA
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Happened to me a few times coming in hot on a short field. Just to hard to slow those GREEN planes down. No way Hitler would have a RED airplane. :D
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com