Maintenance on submerged wheels

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

ghostflyer

Maintenance on submerged wheels

Post by ghostflyer »

Where I live ,Brisbane Australia we have had massive floods from rain fall that’s totally unbelievable . My hangar and others on the airfield were flooded . I was lucky in some ways as the water only got to 12ins deep in my hangar and I had my tail of my aircraft elevated up and sitting on a bench to put the aircraft in the flying position.as I was doing a careful inspection of tail wheel ,steering and bottom of elevator . So flood salt water only covered my main wheels for 3 days . I had also just finished repackaged my bearings in the main wheels with Aeroshell 22 grease. [100hrly] This grease had not started to break down at all . My rims are made of magnesium and the aircraft is fitted with twin spot brakes [cleveland ] . So the Main wheels removed again after the flooding and rims split ,new tie bolts fitted and brake callipers inspected and washed . I noticed the brake pads seemed very rusty looking . I now have done a very close inspection 10x mag glass and found the brake compound has started to break down . First look they seemed ok but closer look it’s bad news . The moral of this issue is when the wheels,brake callipers ,axle are inspected check the brake pads for breakdown of materials .
My total loss is about 10,000 dollars for my hangar. I lost manuals ,fridge [very important item in a hangar] electrical power tools , office furniture and a transponder.
The fridge remained sealed and the “drinks “ were safe . But hot. My new compressor was up on a bench having the drive belts adjusted and I need 3 other persons to help me put it back on the floor .
Please do not ask about insurance .. I was insured but insurance are ducking and diving around this .
ghostflyer

Re: Maintenance on submerged wheels

Post by ghostflyer »

Noticed a red oil leak at my r/h wheel today. Further investigation showed my twin spot calliper was leaking under pressure . Removed it and removed the pistons and I have some pitting on the pistons and on the calliper . Spent nearly 2 hours on the phone trying to buy a new one or a used one . No luck. The only other alternative is come up with a repair scheme and have it approved. You can only hone out a bore so far . Maybe be pressing in a stainless steel sleeve into the bore and then honing out to original dims. The calliper is made of magnesium.
c170b53

Re: Maintenance on submerged wheels

Post by c170b53 »

Sorry to hear of your troubles, we just missed disaster around the airport (many others were not as lucky throughout the province) this winter when a Hawaiian express stalled over BC. Fortunately the dykes held around the airport, otherwise I would have experienced your dilemma.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS