Lifting the Tail

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

jcsand

Lifting the Tail

Post by jcsand »

What is a good (safe) method to use for lifting the tail? I want to get it to a level position. Thanks.
Blue4

Re: Lifting the Tail

Post by Blue4 »

Many methods are available -- I've even put the small of my back under a bulkhead and squatted the old lady up! It's not as heavy as you think. Its not too bad with two people. Nonetheless, its not the recommended method.

More conventionally, a floor jack under the aft-most bulkhead towards the fishmouth bracket, protected by a cushion, will get you started. This by itself is enough to change the tailwheel components.

To lift it higher without relying solely on human power, a wrap or two of straps and a lifting device above the airplane such as a hoist or engine crane will do the trick. You could try putting the tailwheel on a single tine of a forklift, but that will require some securing to make sure it doesn't roll off.

Be prepared and have something available upon which to set the tail. a 55 gallon drum seems to be a good starting point.

I'm very curious to see what other methods folks have! All of these have worked for me.

Stop by my hangar at KRNH where I usually have some 170 work going on.
-Scott
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

When the tail wheel needs service, I use a motorcycle jack padded with a folded towel and sitting on cement blocks under the next to last fuselage bulkhead. You may not be able to get it completely level this way, but the higher you get it the lighter it gets, an you may be able to manually lift it by the tail wheel spring.
B6775932-CDE5-4A16-9AB4-AE56E91EE18C.jpeg
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I have a motorcycle jack as well as a motorcycle lift-table and use them. The lift table has a “ramp” which I can simply slide forward beneath the tailwheel which will roll up/onto the table…and then pumping the foot-pedal the entire airplane is leveled. The m/c jack is used as Miles describes when I want to work on the tailwheel.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
jcsand

Post by jcsand »

Thanks to all of you. Good info.