Chicago Pneumatic Rivet Squeezer

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Bruce Fenstermacher

Chicago Pneumatic Rivet Squeezer

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

IMG_2052.jpg
This is a Chicago Pneumatic Rivet Squeezer model T7871. An old relic from the tool cabinet at work. I'm trying to figure out if it is usable. Of course there are no manuals and I can't find any online.

It operates fine. The question is how to limit the squeeze so a rivet is squeezed properly. I can find no adjustment. Anyone know how to work this thing?
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
cessna170bdriver

Re: Chicago Pneumatic Rivet Squeezer

Post by cessna170bdriver »

I don’t know about the alligator squeezer, but before adjustable anvils for the c-yoke squeezers, washers under the dies were used.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Maybe that is an adjuster knob at the bottom center in the picture? Just a guess.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

They still make these so there should be a manual somewhere. They go for about $1500 8O
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
Bruce Fenstermacher

Richard, none of the things I can adjust, the knob on the bottom or the allen screw on the top seem to adjust the travel.

Karl, I thought the same and so opened a manual for a new one and there are no instructions how to use the tool, just warnings how not to get hurt in 40 different languages.

Miles, I think you are on to it.

Jim Collins

Post by Jim Collins »

last time I used something like that, you varied the air pressure. Not very precision, but it was close and kind of repeatable.
Metal Master

Post by Metal Master »

Having used these tools many times in my career. We never varied the air pressure. In the best equipped shops, they had different lengths of mandrels for the jaws. In the less equipped shops, we used washers under the anvils. Most of these tools actually allowed a little control through the regulation of the trigger. Generally, when I was using this tool, it was often bench mounted in a standalone fixture. I had 100 parts that had multiple nut plates, edge seals, additional parts or something else that was being attached and using the same rivet that had to be squeezed exactly the same 1000's of times. An example would be assembling 100 wing close out panels for Boing 717's. We used a smaller version of this tool for riveting trailing edges.
A&P, IA, New owner C170A N1208D, Have rebuilt some 50 aircraft. So many airplanes, So little time!
Bruce Fenstermacher

Thanks Jim and Jim. There is a air adjustment, I'll have to see if that works. Otherwise I'll use washers. Looks like I'll be installing some Cessna flap tracks soon in a '65 172. Might be nice to use for the larger rivets.

c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

I had to ask an old timer but Jim hit it, trigger pressure can affect the squeeze as does the adjuster on the bottom albeit the change is almost unperceptive . Also as Jim said its shines for repetitive shop assembly.
Bruce if you get rid of it you'll be needing one. :D
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
Bruce Fenstermacher

Well I'm glad to hear it appears to be working at least as well as it may have ever worked and I've not missed anything secret in making it work. Guess I have to make a test panel and learn whether it is actually usable.