One Seventy logo

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

mcinpa

One Seventy logo

Post by mcinpa »

Hope everyone is well, does anyone have a vector drawing or paint stencil of this logo…
75BBAB72-6E93-4BAB-B1C0-74739A0BC1B0.jpeg
Many thanks!
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: One Seventy logo

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I don't remember if Ryan Smith may have done this or maybe someone else and include it in out library. I'm sure Ryan will chime in at some point.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Updating your 1948 paint scheme to the 1954 paint scheme?

Check out page 16 of AeroGraphics' catalog.
Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 9.32.08 AM.png
Robert Brown has/had(?) p/n 0500016 as shown below. Do a search here for his contact info.
Click to Enlarge
Click to Enlarge
Gary
mcinpa

Post by mcinpa »

Thank you very much for the link that will work great. The Airplane is in a random colour scheme at the moment, we are recovering the wings and repainting. Looking at a more classic scheme,will have a bit of both 48 and 54 styling. I’d like to incorporate the written one seventy graphics.
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Glad to help! Good to hear you're staying "classic" with the paint scheme. If I had a vote I'd say go original -- hard to improve on the '48 scheme.
My guess is that the original paint layout will garner a higher resale value too.
Dan Wood's '48.  Click to Enlarge
Dan Wood's '48. Click to Enlarge
Gary
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I feel I have to comment in agreement with Gary’s post… ONe of the things that factor-in so much in my favor of originality is re-sale values.

Even though one might be thinking primarily of ones’ OWN use of the airplane….at some point one is faced with residual value. Highly modified airplanes may only appeal to the people who value those particular mods…and the money placed into the modification is almost never fully recovered. I’m not writing about engine “upgrades” or leather seat-covers…. I’m referring to appearances. There are a great many modifications that improve this airplane but which are not immediately evident appearance-wise if well-accomplished. If the airplane LOOKS original … it will bring more compliments and retain values better.

Back in the late ‘80s/early 90’s I occasionally flew “contract” for a man who owned a D-model Baron that was a great performer and had factory re-mans and fresh interior and paint and pretty good avionics. When he was through with it… It sold for a miserable price …. because it had a paint scheme of in his university-colors…. in a PIPER APACHE paint scheme. He was very proud of it. But to everyone else…. including airplane buyers…. It looked like defecation.
After almost a year and a half on the market…. He sold it at a price so discounted to include new paint, interior, and the necessary time-out-of-service to accomplish those changes that he took a huge loss on it. (not including the hangar, insurance, and maintenance needed for the 1-1/2 years it was on the market.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

I used Aerographics for all the paint masks on my airplane and was very satisfied. Note that they can take any graphic in their catalog and make it a custom size. They even supplied a mirror image of the “bird” logo to satisfy my OCD that requires all birds to be pointed into the wind (even though there is evidence that the designers at Cessna had no such issue). :lol:
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
mcinpa

Post by mcinpa »

Oh I’d love to go like this!
But it’s just too much polishing! I really would,but myself and my partner in the aircraft both work away with the airlines and can’t justify the time to polish her to keep her that good looking. We’d rather spend our time with her,flying her!
Attachments
7AC29AFF-B05B-463F-B1F5-A050737EF295.jpeg
7AC29AFF-B05B-463F-B1F5-A050737EF295.jpeg (53.35 KiB) Viewed 9719 times
mcinpa

Post by mcinpa »

cessna170bdriver wrote:I used Aerographics for all the paint masks on my airplane and was very satisfied. Note that they can take any graphic in their catalog and make it a custom size. They even supplied a mirror image of the “bird” logo to satisfy my OCD that requires all birds to be pointed into the wind (even though there is evidence that the designers at Cessna had no such issue). :lol:
That’s great to know I have the same OCD tendencies regarding the bird!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

mcinpa wrote:Oh I’d love to go like this!
But it’s just too much polishing! I really would,but myself and my partner in the aircraft both work away with the airlines and can’t justify the time to polish her to keep her that good looking. We’d rather spend our time with her,flying her!

No need to polish…. either keep it in a dry hangar and wash it with the WD40 process I’ve promoted for years and be happy with a slight patina…. OR… paint the polished area a nice contrasting neutral color. (Cream or Almond gives a nice “antique” look, IMO.) Dove Grey (DuPont Imron name) or another very light grey also looks very nice.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

AOPA's 2017 Sweepstakes C-172 was painted with Sherwin-Williams Aerospace Ice Silver Acryglo to simulate polished aluminum.
Might be something to consider if you want the look without the polishing.
1705p_sweeps_001_16x9.jpg
Gary
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I’d try to avoid all the Bill-board Advertising tho’… :lol:
dstates

Post by dstates »

GAHorn wrote:I’d try to avoid all the Bill-board Advertising tho’… :lol:
But hey, if they will pay for it, I'd put some vinyl advertising on the side...
N1235D - 1951 170A - SN: 20118
bgiesbrecht

Post by bgiesbrecht »

n2582d wrote:AOPA's 2017 Sweepstakes C-172 was painted with Sherwin-Williams Aerospace Ice Silver Acryglo to simulate polished aluminum.
Might be something to consider if you want the look without the polishing.
The attachment 1705p_sweeps_001_16x9.jpg is no longer available
My bird is also painted with something similar. It's stunning in the sunlight. It's definitely not as stunning as polish, but it looks good and easy to keep looking clean.
170_ccb.jpg
Former owner of:
1953 170B
N1977C
s/n 26122
JSwift

Post by JSwift »

[My bird is also painted with something similar. It's stunning in the sunlight. It's definitely not as stunning as polish, but it looks good and easy to keep looking clean.[quote]

Gotta say that is a great looking paint job. With all due respect to these who precede me in this organization, go with a simple but great looking paint job that makes you happy. I too don’t have the time to care for a polished look! If you feel good flying the plane you will fly it more!

Fly. Have fun,repeat!
N2594D, 1952 170B #20746
Near Enfield, CT
Let's go fly!