Tachometer inop / irregular

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

tshort

Tachometer inop / irregular

Post by tshort »

Went to fly the ragwing pre-annual last week and the tach went nuts on startup.
I have a video which I can try to link, but basically the needle was all over the place, from zero to redline and beyond and just completely irregular.

Any tips for troubleshooting this? Is it more likely the instrument or cable?

As it turns out I was mistaken on the annual, we've been doing them in June for a while but last year signed it off in July so I have another month and would like to find a way to get airborne before she goes down for inspection.
Thomas Short
1948 C170 N3949V
RV-8 wings in progress
Indianapolis (KUMP)
hilltop170

Re: Tachometer inop / irregular

Post by hilltop170 »

Sounds like your tach cable is hanging up in the housing, winding up, and then letting go, making the needle jerk. The cable may be worn out or just needing a good clean and lube. I would check the cable first.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
tshort

Post by tshort »

I wondered if that might be it.

Any tips/tricks to lubing the cable? What lube is preferred?

Thanks,
Thomas Short
1948 C170 N3949V
RV-8 wings in progress
Indianapolis (KUMP)
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Remove the cable from the plane and if possible, pull the retainer clip, and pull the inner wire-wound drive cable out. Clean it up and check for any broken or worn-thru wire. If you find something wrong, buy a new cable, but if you find nothing there, then lube and reinstall and check the operation. My aviation guru friend says Lucas Red-N-Tacky is the best grease for the tach cable. Sold at auto supply stores.

Chances are the inner cable can't be or will be very difficult to remove. In that case, flush out the cable with lots of mineral spirits or penetrating oil, something like PB Blaster or Corrosion X. Then re-lube using a tube of Red-N-Tacky grease in a pump grease gun with a short piece of vinyl hose that will slide over the end fitting of the cable and grease gun head and can be clamped-off. Then pump until grease comes out the other end. Re-install and see what happens. Chances are a new cable will probably be needed.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Keystone Instruments of Lock Haven PA has recommended plain old petroleum jelly such as Vaseline brand and that is what they used for tack cables when I asked a few years ago.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
barrymaas

Post by barrymaas »

I had a jumpy tach, even after sending it in for an overhaul. Tried all the lube tricks, and then ordered a new cable from Aircraft Spruce. That didn't solve it. The plastic cased cables had too much binding from the curve needed in routing.

Univair sells a metal cable, similar to the original. I ordered this, and it worked perfect. The needle is rock solid.

U1713-R325 UNIVAIR RECORDING TACHOMETER CABLE