Cessna 170B Owners Manual

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

1moretw

Cessna 170B Owners Manual

Post by 1moretw »

Seems though the previous owner of my '52 170B never had an Owners Manual or any other manual dealing with maintenance issues. Consequently i am hunting for a source for the Owners Manual or a Pilot Operating Handbook and even the IPC that I have seen identified on this site.

Thanks, Mike K.
GAHorn

Re: Cessna 170B Owners Manual

Post by GAHorn »

Mike, You are quite correct to seek the documentation necessary to operate and maintain your airplane. The Cessna 170 was produced prior to “modern” rules which ordinarily apply to such matters. (The 170 was produced under the old CAR3 while similar “modern” airplanes are produced under FAR 23.)

For example, the “Owners Manual” and the Illustrated Parts Catalog (IPC) for the 170 are not “Approved” documents, and while they are helpful they are not officially-recognized as mandatory resources for the airplane. This situation does not mean you should operate without them, it’s just that they are not “Required” by FAR.

What IS required by FAR is known as the “Airplane Flight Manual”…(AFM)…which in the case of the 170 is merely a one-page/two-sided document available from Textron/Cessna for approx. $115… OR… Int’l Cessna 170 Assoc’n Members may download a FREE copy from our Mx Library. The AFM is mandatory to be carried IN the airplane. (You should also carry a current Wt & Bal and Equipment List, along with the Registration and Airworthiness Certificate, of course….and if operating outside the U.S., a FCC Radio Station License…the latter accompanied by your personal FCC-issued RadioTelephone Operators License.) :wink:

The Service Manual which “applies” to this airplane is “The Cessna 100 Series Service Manual, 1962 and Prior” ** which may also be downloaded online.

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=15293
and
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=9714

The “Owners Manual” and the IPC may also be downloaded online…and Re-print copies may be purchased from Univair, Aircraft Spruce, while “original” (reprint) may be purchased from Textron/Cessna at the usual market price differences.

https://cessna170.org/members/technical-documents/

Illustrated Parts Catalogs: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=16142

Continental Manuals: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=13637&hilit=illust ... ts+catalog
Hope this helps.

** The Cessna 100 Series Service Manual, 1962 and Prior does not contain much data specific to the 170, but nevertheless is the “official” document pertaining. The “common knowledge” of aircraft maintenance was more “common” in decades prior to 1962 and is not within the knowledge-base of many newer technicians and this is lamentable. However that still remains the proper document, along with any applicable additional “official” resources which can be found…an example being the Continental “M-0”, AC 43.13, etc etc.

P.S.: If you find you need vacuum tubes (British-“valves”) for your VHT-2 Superhomer power-supply, don’t hesitate to contact me, and I will remove some unknown-quality tubes from the ones in my attic and send them to you. :twisted:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
gfeher

Post by gfeher »

Mike, I also own a '52 170B. The owner's manual for the '52 B model can be found (and downloaded by members for free) in this thread in the MX Library: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9026
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY
'52 170B N2315D s/n 20467 C-145-2
Experimental J3 Cub Copy N7GW O-200
1moretw

Post by 1moretw »

Wonderful and thank you. Best "club" I have ever joined. Mike K.