Single Cessna Life Limits

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Single Cessna Life Limits

Post by GAHorn »

During some online research I came across an article I found “interesting” which discusses life-limits Cessna has placed on certain models.
This was interesting in a particular aspect because my ‘53 year model is registered (by FAA) as a 1952 model. While I question the validity of Cessna’s attempt to limit the lives retroactively of these airplanes, …. This (FAA thinking my ‘53 is a ‘52) might actually have some benefit if considered in terms of the following paragraph:

That’s why Cessna’s Special Inspection Documents now put a life limit on the Cessna 172 airframe (and a few other single-engine models, as well) of 30,000 hours. Cessna created a Supplemental Inspection Document aimed at tracking airframe fatigue, but it is valid only for aircraft that have fewer than 30,000 hours on the airframe. “Beyond this, continued airworthiness of the airplane can no longer be assured,” the Supplemental Inspection Document says. “Retirement of this airframe is recommended when 30,000 flight hours have been accumulated.” The document is listed on a portion of the Cessna Aircraft Web site that requires registration and a password. ] The limit applies to 100-series Cessna airplanes (1953-1968), 150-series (1969 through 1976), the 152 (1978-1985), the 172 (1969-1986), the 182 (1977-1986), the 180/185 (1981-1985), and 177 (1976-1981) models. The 1986 172 and earlier models are subject to it, as are the 1997 and newer models.

Here’s the complete AOPA article:
https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all ... of-the-new
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Vertical

Re: Single Cessna Life Limits

Post by Vertical »

What is the highest time 170 anyone's ever heard of?
GAHorn

Re: Single Cessna Life Limits

Post by GAHorn »

Vertical wrote:What is the highest time 170 anyone's ever heard of?
When in the early ‘70s I flew pipeline patrol we operated two C-140A (single strut, all metal, 42 gallon tanks with O-200 Continentals) which had been acquired after Humble Oil and Refining had dispensed with them. I do not recall actually seeing their logbooks…but the boss said they were in the 20K+ hours range.
Cessna did have a special inspection they wanted us to do because patrol airplanes operate primarily at low altitude and presumably receive more stresses from turbulence and such than the average airplane. (Hard to imagine a patrol airplane that spends 5-7 hours a day at cruise receiving more stresses than one endlessly going around the patch doing touch-and-goes, but that was the opinion of Cessna.)
The boss ignored Cessnas’ call for a special instruction since we were operating Part 91. Most of our airplanes ended up wrecked anyway since he often hired time-builders who would work cheap. If someone lasted a year without killing themselves in a wreck or in powerlines they had a thousand hours or more and got a better job that paid more. I guess I was a slow learner. I lasted 2+ years before getting fired for not agreeing to live away from my home and wife for more than 6 months at a time.
(Was hired two days later at twice the salary flying Part 135 in new Beechcrafts for a Beech Dealer.) Happy wife. Happy life. :P
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)