Baby bushwheel on 8.5 mains?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

blennon29

Re: Baby bushwheel on 8.5 mains?

Post by blennon29 »

This forum is really a money saver....you get talked out of just about everything! I ended up ordering another standard tailwheel tire for now. My landing areas don't require the BBW at the moment and as everyone said, there are no shortage of other upgrades. I think I'll put it towards extended baggage or folding rear seats.

I hadn't considered the advantage of adding weight to the tail for CG though. Every action has multiple reactions in aviation.
N4494B 1955 170B O-300 A
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I may need to add a high-powered, heavy engine and prop combination to move MY CG FORWARD! (Been wond’ring how I was gonna convince Jamie of this necessity…) :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
TFA170

Post by TFA170 »

A couple of threads in the past have mentioned the "glider tire" for the tailwheel - what is it? Any links to this "glider tire" - I'm 90% on grass, don't have a shimmy problem, but wouldn't mind a bit more 'flotation' as a lot of these FLA fields have some soft sand under the 'grass' - just looking at options as my tailwheel tire is getting old and I'm about to take the head assembly off and go through it at next annual...just because it hasn't been gone through since I've owned it and I'd like to simply do a good IRAN.