Seaplane Oil Cooler

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

bjonesss

Seaplane Oil Cooler

Post by bjonesss »

A few years ago, a forum post included an attachment that was a picture of the seaplane oil cooler installation on an early O-300 equipped Cessna 172. Does anyone have that picture? For that matter, does anyone have any pictures (and/or parts) for the seaplane oil cooler installation?
GAHorn

Re: Seaplane Oil Cooler

Post by GAHorn »

The early 172 (which has the O-300 installation similar to the 170-B) has the following illustration and parts listing for the seaplane in its IPC:
Click to Enlarge
Click to Enlarge
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
bjonesss

Post by bjonesss »

Thanks, but I already have the IPC page. What I really want is a picture of the oil cooler installation on the front of the engine. Maybe a better part number than the Cessna 0550219-19 part number for the cooler. I'll bet the cooler was made by Harrison, since they made a cooler for the O-300. The cooler is unusual though, since the inlet and outlet are on the sides, not the top.
Attachments
Continental Figure 12 Oil Cooler Equipment from Parts Manual.PDF
(66.39 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Unfortunately insufficient illustration is evident. There may be fittings associated with the cooler (hidden by the baffling) which mate-up to the ones shown in the IPC. The IPC may only catalog user-serviceable parts provided by Cessna…not parts associated with the cooler assy. Without addt’l info from Cessna regarding the conversion kit for floatplanes it’s difficult to know.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)