What were these holes for?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

1moretw

What were these holes for?

Post by 1moretw »

On my '52 B model, there are 3 or 4 holes on each side of the fuselage behind the door post. What was the purpose of these holes? Or did perhaps a previous owner make these holes? Can't recall the exact size nor whether there are 3 or 4 but can measure them tomorrow.
GAHorn

Re: What were these holes for?

Post by GAHorn »

1moretw wrote:On my '52 B model, there are 3 or 4 holes on each side of the fuselage behind the door post. What was the purpose of these holes? Or did perhaps a previous owner make these holes? Can't recall the exact size nor whether there are 3 or 4 but can measure them tomorrow.

PIctures..??

There are some holes on various places (such as leading edges of horiz-stab, etc)..which are “jig” holes…. Holes used to position tooling for accuracy of manufacture. I’m trying to imagine the holes you’re describing…. First thing I imagine is holes in the side of the fuselage below the rear window..?? in which I ask…Do you have rear seat armrests? Two holes, each side, are for machine screw to mount armrests.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
1moretw

Post by 1moretw »

From their position, I would venture a guess that you are correct, that they are for arm rests and no, I do not have arm rests for the rear seat. Next time at the plane, I will take pictures and post them. Thanks for the quick reply. Mike K.
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

I too have these holes and found a old photo of my aircraft and it had a name plate in this position. my holes are just behind the door post and just under the rear window .
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I mis-spoke earlier…they were not “machine screws”…they are actually attached with #8 PK (sheet-metal) screws…[edit] 3-each side.
93B6BCE5-F1FD-4534-81FE-249F09AC36DA.png
(Some previous owner may have removed them during a “re-uphostery” job or otherwise. They might seem superfluous to an owner who considers this an “old” airplane… as compared to an owner who views it as a “classic” airplane. Armrests are a minor matter…. Your individual tastes are what matter.

If you don’t have the armrests for re-installation… I wouldn’t spend a lot acquiring them. Firstly, they are easily manufactured by any competent interior shop, and Secondly, they are rarely missed by rear seat occupants unless they’ve had them previously.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

As we are talking about 3 maybe 4 holes behind the door post, perhaps they are for both the arm rest and the ash tray.
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

I have seen ELTs mounted there on some airplanes as well and secured with additional screws through the skin. Would be four holes in a square pattern.

Arm rests are linear and three screws aligned length-wise down the fuse.
jlwild

Post by jlwild »

With reference to the Illustrated Parts Catalog (IPC) Fig. 36 arm rest assembly -22 and arm rest assembly -24 there are apparently 3 different arm rests for the C-170 based on serial numbers. Each assembly has 3 screws and Tinnerman nuts on each side of the fuselage holding the arm rests in position. Not shown is the Tinnerman nuts are in the arm rest. See page 66 and 67 in the IPC. Also as an FYI, the rear seat is easier to remove if you remove the arm rests first during rear seat removal. Suggest you plug the holes in the fuselage if are not using the arm rest. Cheers, Jim
Jim Wildharber, Kennesaw, GA
Past President TIC170A (2010-12) and Georgia Area Representative
'55 170B, N3415D, SN:26958, O-300D; People's Choice '06 Kelowna, B.C., Best Modified '07 Galveston, TX, Best Modified '08 Branson, MO.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Be aware that interior shops often take liberties with interior design (one example might be the removal of armrests entirely…. another might be creation of entirely new designs… and may include armrest redesign.) The point being that… as usual…. these unapproved IPCs may not be entirely accurate depictions.
Jims’ comment regarding armrest removal facilitating rear seat removal is right-on-target…. it’s much easeir to remove that rear seat by pulling out the armrests first.
1moretw

Post by 1moretw »

two sets of fuselage holes
two sets of fuselage holes
Lots of info and thanks to all. I am attaching a picture showing 2 holes in the blue stripe and 3 in the white stripe below the two. Picture attached.
1moretw

Post by 1moretw »

Got it! Top 2 holes were for an ashtray. Bottom 3 holes were for an armrest. End of story.
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

1moretw wrote:
Fuselage holes.jpg
Lots of info and thanks to all. I am attaching a picture showing 2 holes in the blue stripe and 3 in the white stripe below the two. Picture attached.
I believe the two holes were for the ashtray.

Joe
4518C
cbeyer

Post by cbeyer »

As per ghostflyer: name plate of the dealership that originally sold the aircraft. They were cast pot metal. Mine broke in an attempt to remove them for cleaning the polish residue. They now ride in the glove box.
cbeyer

Post by cbeyer »

The name plate was on the right side. Ash trays were on both sides. So probably ash tray. Will verify next time at the hanger.
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

As per the photo of 1moretow and what cbeyer has stated . on the blue strip there are 2 holes for a name plate . i have seen a photo of my aircraft [[taken many years ago] with a name plate in this position. it looks like CESSNA 170, but photo has badly decomposed over the years . i haven’t filled the holes yet only placed tape on the inside to stop water coming in.