Need recommendations for ADSB In

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

c170b53

Need recommendations for ADSB In

Post by c170b53 »

I installed a tailbeacon x, seems everyone can see me, now I want to see them too ! What seems to be the best solution out there ?
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
4583C

Re: Need recommendations for ADSB In

Post by 4583C »

I love my Sentry!! Battery life is good and it’s small enough to not be in the way. I’m convinced I see a lot more traffic now than before ADSB. Debra even picks out traffic now and scolds me if I forget the Sentry.
daedaluscan

Post by daedaluscan »

I have a Stratus and love it. I wish we got weather on it in Canada.
Charlie

1956 170B C-GDRG #27019
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

A number of owners who selected the SkyBeacon also selected the SkySensor for the right wing, partially to have a mirror image installation…but also for its’ excellent ADSB-In performance. It may not be for you up in Canada however.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
flyingredyeti

Post by flyingredyeti »

c170b53 wrote:I installed a tailbeacon x, seems everyone can see me, now I want to see them too ! What seems to be the best solution out there ?
There are a plethora of ADS-B out/in options on the market these days, most of which are somewhat affordable to the average G.A. owner. Typically, the best solution for you depends on the following factors:

1. What avionics do you already have installed-specifically: GPS source, transponder, ADS-B out unit, traffic display, and any existing TAS/TCAS systems?
2. What's your budget?

While not fully versed in all of the options out there, I do have a few years of experience in this area. If you can answer the above questions, I would be happy to suggest a few options.
First time aircraft owner: '26C A gleaming Cessna 170B with 180 horsepower: the perfect mechanical bird.
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Well you are right, I should have been more specific. As I mentioned I have the tailbeacon x. I went that way to comply with future Canadian rules, being Canadian. I looked at other options but as I do not have a Waas GPS source, it was the least expensive way to comply. I use an I-Pad and have a Foreflight account for the US and Canada. I almost took the plunge at Oshkosh for a garmin GDL 52, but waffled, as I really had not done enough research at the time. I flew back (leading then following) a fellow co-worker in his Cherokee 180 who had purchased a GDL 50. He uses a Aera 660 to display traffic. On our trip back, my plane would out his climb and was as fast as his plane, maybe a bit faster when we had full tanks but he would overtake me once we had burned off about a third of our tanks. All the while he knew exactly where I was and had no problem with spotting other aircraft being called out by ATC.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Jim, recently I thought now that nearly everyone has ADSB-Out. perhaps I should relook at having an ADSB-In in my non-electric, transponder and ADSB-Out exempt Vagabond. I first tried to use the Dual 170 I'd bought when ADSB-In was new. It didn't work then which I attributed to the lack of ADSB-Out to excite the system but guess what, it still doesn't work. Guess I got a bad unit. Wonder if they'll take it back, I've only had it maybe 10 years.

So a friend gave my his GLD-50 to try. Guess what , works like a charm. I can see all the traffic that can't see me. But here is what I learned. The GDL-50 (Probably all Garmin products) won't work with all software. Specifically it won't work with WingX. I prefer free stuff over paying for stuff and WingX is free to CFIs. I'd just switched back to WingX from using FltPlan Go, another free navigation App which has much less features than WingX. But FltPlan Go does have GDL-50 support. (As Garmin now owns FltPlan.com and FltPlan Go this shouldn't be a surprize) So now, if I want to see other traffic I put up with FltPlan Go or if I want more features I use WingX but have no traffic.

All this to say, make sure what ever software you want to use to display the ADSB info works with the unit you buy. Don't assume they will all work together.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
falco

Post by falco »

I have the Dynon DRX for ADS-B in. (Garmin GDL-82 for ADS-B out)

Small self-contained brick. with a 2 inch folding antenna. I just put it on the glareshield forward of the compass.
Connects seamlessly to the iPad/Foreflight with wi fi.
flaglor

Post by flaglor »

We have a Stratux in our 170B. Mounts on the side window and uses a charge brick for power. Works pretty good feeding the ipad.

Also have a Bonanza with a GDL50R, which mounts behind the panel and is permanent. Wired to the airplane. Feeds my ipad and Aera 660 and GPS175. Automatic. Also works very good. More expensive, but not awful.

I fly a King Air with a Stratus on the glareshield. All work equally well for me.
Vertical

Post by Vertical »

Sentry mini paired with forelight has worked flawlessly. Have it powered via USB cable/cig adapter.