Lightspeed Delta Zulu

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

c170b53

Lightspeed Delta Zulu

Post by c170b53 »

https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/a ... tazulu.php
Crazy thing happened to me while attending Oshkosh. I went shopping for an ANR headset, well really just window shopping. I tried on a Bose headset at their grand display pavilion and liked it. I did think it was a bit pricey and never having had a ANR unit I wondered whether I really needed one. I had met up with a co-worker (I’ve retired but he’s still at it (poor Sod)) who was big on Lightspeed having had a series of Zulu’s. He more or less ushered me out of Bose and steered me towards Aircraft spruce’s stall but somehow and easily we got separated along the way, as there’s so much to see. I walked up to Lightspeed’s booth and began talking to the salesperson who turned out to be the president, Allan Schrader. I had mentioned to him that my wife often had to repeat things to me and I thought possibly 42 years of listening to Jet engines might have affected my hearing. He let me try their headset on and I liked it but then he took everything to another level.
He proposed that I might like to test trial their latest product, not yet available for sale so that they could evaluate its performance. He then arranged with his staff to provide me with their latest product the Delta Zula. The next day I returned to their alternate display area and Allan gave me a brief overview of the unit. They asked that I not divulge any intel on the unit as it had not been released for sale. They asked that I try it out and they would monitor it’s performance (software was added to my phone).
Well , most know I’m a likeable (I think) idiot. First I can’t believe I’ve not gotten myself a ANR headset before the Lightspeed experience. Second I’ve had the unit for more than a month, I’m not giving this unit back, guess I’ll pay the man. Awesome unit, well built, lots of features, well thought out design, awesome experience. Guess I’ll be recommending this unit but more importantly I would recommend any ANR headset is better than flying without one. I was also looking for a CO2 detector, now I’m looking for other stuff.
My co- worker couldn’t believe it nor could I. I’ve lent the unit to him so that he can provide feedback to Lightspeed as well. Having had previous models, I’ll await his analysis and hope to get it back.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
GAHorn

Re: Lightspeed Delta Zulu

Post by GAHorn »

I like your experience-report, Jim…. Let me add my own experience with LightSpeed Headsets.

In 2000 I bought two K-15 Lightspeed ANRs and loved them…except for the “buzz” which occurs when operating on an airport with a large radar array. Whenever the radar antenna scanned across the aircraft a momentary “buzz” would occur. Not a disqualifying matter…but a mild objection. The REAL objection was 2 years later when the audio-cords disentegrated from age. (Two years…Really?) 8O My airplane is hangared…not parked out in the sun…so that was not the cause I don’t believe.
I contacted Lightspeed for replacement cords….none available…that model was discontinued….but they’d give me a discount if I traded them in on a different model (XLs). I took that offer and acquired two of the subsequent models with slightly improved performance. They also worked fairly well….. for 2-1/2 years…when THOSE audio cords also disintegrated. (dry-rot symptoms).

I contacted Lightspeed and again…no replacement cords available…but they offered a discount on different newer models. I bought two “Sierra” models. This was in 2010 and those headsets are laying in a pile in the corner of my hangar. You guessed it…. dry-rotted audio cords and disintegrated ear-pads. (The earlier models also had deeply degraded ear pads… a sort of faux-leatherette pad which deteriorated into powder.) (this para was edited for models correction)

NO MORE LIGHTSPEEDS for me.

Four years ago I bought two Faro G2 headsets. They are sill in great shape and no problems (except for relatively short battery lives… last about 6 hours on dual AAs.)

Two years ago I gave up on buying second-rate headsets and bought two Bose A-20s. They are “light-YEARS” ahead of others as far as noise-cancelling is concerned. None of the Lightspeeds and neither of the Faros….while “OK” on ANR performance….but None of them even Approach the Bose for killing noise. The Bose bluetooth pairs up nicely with our Android cell phones so well the telephone conversations are undetectable different from ordinary phone calls.

Yep those Bose are expensive… about $1K or a bit more…but they also offered a special for CFIs which was worth a couple hundred so I went for it. (and considering that I’d paid over $3K (ea) for the Lightspeed experience … and those headsets no longer serviceable….as far as I’m concerned, the Bose is the more affordable.)
BOSE is the cats’ meow in “over the ear” headsets, IMO. (Ask me if their audio cords are still serviceable in a few more years. So far they’ve outlasted the Lightspeeds.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
dstates

Post by dstates »

George, everyone is going to have their experiences and opinions. Mine is the opposite of yours. I owned two of the XL Lightspeed headsets and used them for ten years. Then I traded them both in for a discount on a couple Sierra models and have been using them for 5 years now. Noise cancellation is good. I’ve flown with a friends A20 in my 170 a couple times and wasn’t impressed. Especially for $500 more than what I paid for the Sierra’s. I also didn’t like the fit. I need another nice headset for when I take a passenger in the back and I’ll probably get a Zulu 3 for me and let my Sierra be for a passenger.

Although I won’t be a Delta Zulu customer (I’m saving for avgas), I’m glad to see they are bringing some new features to the market.

Doug
N1235D - 1951 170A - SN: 20118
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

I've been using Lightspeed ANRs since they were first introduced, first the model 20, and for the past 10 years, three sets of Zulus. I've never had the plastic degradation that others have reported, but on two sets the ear cups finally started coming apart so last year I paid $50 each for refurb kits. Slightly annoying because for years Lightspeed supplied replacement parts free, but with improved parts in the kits, my headsets are better than new.

I really like the A20s, too. If I hadn't bought the Zulus before the Bose were introduced, I'd probably have all A20s now.
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

George, yes the Bose do feel nice on the head. Guess I’ll find out how reliable the Lightspeeds are but I think we can all agree ANR headsets are worth paying more for.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

c170b53 wrote:George, yes the Bose do feel nice on the head. Guess I’ll find out how reliable the Lightspeeds are but I think we can all agree ANR headsets are worth paying more for.
DEFINITELY!

I began (officially) flying in 1970 and we used hand-held mics and no headsets at all. Looking-back… I can’t believe how horrible those moving noisy classrooms called Cessna 150s were as far as communications were concerned. Instructor/Student conversation consisted of raised-voices to overcome the engine/prop/wind and ATC background.

Ordinary headsets are a huge improvement in the teaching/learning experience…and ANR are definitely the new standard for aviating!

Keep us posted on your Lightspeed experience. I agree with Doug that each persons’ experiences are unique and ALL opinions on this sort of subject is valuable and should be rec’d with due respect. I thought my first Lightspeed experience with deteriorated rubber parts must have been a “fluke”…but two subsequent models failing in the same way without mfr’r support became overwhelmingly negative for me.

The problem with many product “reviews” is they are issued Early when they enter the marketplace…. I’ve seen almost no reviews several years later when durability and service-record and customer service issues are discovered.
I’m hoping your experience with their new product will have addressed those widely-reported problems. ( https://vansairforce.net/community/show ... p?t=184112 )
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

George, I bought a couple of sets of Lightspeeds (my first ANRs) just before heading down to Sun-n-Fun in 2021. The cords are over braided with Kevlar; should last a lifetime. Also, I’m very impressed with the battery life; I’ve put well over 125 hours on them and just installed the third set of batteries right before leaving for Blakesburg last weekend.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
TFA170

Post by TFA170 »

I've had Bose X forever. I buy used ones and fit the cords I need. Never had a cord problem. The earcups will eventually start flaking off, but replacements are relatively inexpensive (get OE Bose ones, not the cheap knock-offs).

I now can't really fly without ANR. Once I went ANR more than a decade ago (when Bose X were new), I never went back. I hate having to put ear plugs in and turn the volume up on non-ANR DCs and others. I can't hear anything - my hearing as bad enough as it is.

For batteries, I've gone to rechargeable lithium batteries. They sell AA ones and I keep a set installed and a set in reserve just in case. I don't know how long they really last because I always seem to top them up after months (just because) - sometimes sitting, sometimes very actively using them. Very happy with them - a little more expensive than ni-cad rechargeables, but far more reliable and without the charging "memory" issue of ni-cads...I do keep a set of new alkalines in the package that I try to replace every year too....just in case.
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

Bose maintains they have thicker cords for the audio, but I am consistently impressed with the braided cords Lightspeed has adopted. Several career pilot friends have them and have had zero issues with the new cords. I wish Bose could/would introduce the same.

I don’t personally care for Lightspeed though they have a great product and are a great company, I’ve hitched my wagon to the Bose train with 2 Bose X, 4 A20s, and a pair of ProFlights. I am very likely going to get a pair of DC Pro-X to alternate between the ProFlights at work.