Tailwheel steering cable issue

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

n2582d

Re: Tailwheel steering cable issue

Post by n2582d »

That's interesting. I'd never heard that Cessna switched back to the simpler system for tailwheel steering. Fig. 65A of the IPC says it's for s/n 26505 and on which would be for the '55 and '56 models. On the C-185 Cessna engineered a more complex way of getting the tailwheel steering cables more horizontal as seen here:
Screen Shot 2022-11-10 at 10.58.33 AM.png
Gary
GAHorn

Re: Tailwheel steering cable issue

Post by GAHorn »

JohnNielsen wrote:When I rebuilt my '55 170B s/n 26712, we contacted a tech engineer at Cessna who was kind enough to do research and advise us. He said they tried that complex cable pulley system to attempt to get better tailwheel movement with rudder pedals. After a few they decided it was not worth the trouble and weight and went back to simple attachment of tailwheel to the rudder arm. He suggested we leave those parts and cables out of this plane and do what the factory dd a few s/n down the line. That is what we did and I am happy for that!!

John
When and Which tech-engineer at Cessna did you talk to..? It’s been my experience that no one at Cessna since 2007 knows anything about actual production of the 170. I tried my Best to get one of the “old timers” at Cessna to come be a guest speaker at our Galveston Convention…and after being passed around the telephone-network at Cessna…they finally handed me to the Single-Engine Assembly-Line supervisor …who actually OWNS a Cessna 170…. and when he got on the line and found out I was looking for an experienced Cessna 170 person from the original assembly-line…he specifically told me that all those guys had retired or died…and that if we really wanted someone who could speak with good knowledge on the airplane we should look up a guy in Austin, Texas named George Horn. 8O (not kidding)

I don’t believe they ever went back to the earlier tailwheel steering after ‘55.
And it’s difficult to have much confidence in the present “engineers’ at Cessna with regard to the history of this airplane.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)