Tach jumpy

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

BrianW

Tach jumpy

Post by BrianW »

My tach has been jumping all over, eventually wrapping all the way to max (about 4000 RPM probably) and making an awful noise when it's pegged..

I pulled out the inner cable, it came out just fine. Didn't see anything wrong with it, so we lubed it and put it back in. Same issue.

Replaced the tach with a new Mitchel yesterday, and it's also jumping all over the place at higher RPMS. So now I'm a bit stumped. AI wants to try a new cable.
Whats interesting is that at lower RPMS, both tachs seem to work, its higher RPMS where it gets jumpy.
ghostflyer

Re: Tach jumpy

Post by ghostflyer »

make sure there isn’t any kinks in the outer cable or sharp bends . plus the square drive end is square. I had one once inner cable end wasn’t square and slipped at high RPM [jumpy] . Plus the inner part of the outer cable might have worn internally so it grabbing on the inner cable at high RPM.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

BrianW wrote:My tach has been jumping all over, eventually wrapping all the way to max (about 4000 RPM probably) and making an awful noise when it's pegged..

I pulled out the inner cable, it came out just fine. Didn't see anything wrong with it, so we lubed it and put it back in. Same issue.

Replaced the tach with a new Mitchel yesterday, and it's also jumping all over the place at higher RPMS. So now I'm a bit stumped. AI wants to try a new cable.
Whats interesting is that at lower RPMS, both tachs seem to work, its higher RPMS where it gets jumpy.
Certainly sounds like cable issues.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
DWood

Post by DWood »

Tach cables are directional either left lay or right lay depending on the direction of the Tach.
Have your A&P look at Spruce 10-16800 R or L as an example to see if you have the correct cable.