window hinge loose

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

1moretw

window hinge loose

Post by 1moretw »

Now we are stumped. The window hinge was loose my 170B, having been held into the door frame previously with pop rivets The holes are fairly large and misshaped. They measure abou.185 I would like any advice as to how others would fix this so that the hinge would remain in without further damage to the door frame.
GAHorn

Re: window hinge loose

Post by GAHorn »

Without a pic it’s difficult to suggest a repair,… but generally speaking….if a larger fastener is not suitable then installing a doubler or”back-plate” might work. If the location is inside a hollow area and disassembly is difficult, then a “slot” can be cut to the side or from the opposite side and the “back-plate” can be inserted to which the hinge may be riveted. The plate can be pre-drilled, and with planning the hinge can cover/hide the slot.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
1moretw

Post by 1moretw »

Interesting. Will look at it from that perspective and post pic tonight as well. Thanks for the quick reply. This "annual" has been going on since late April, primarily since many previous "fixes" were done poorly as well as many areas left unattended. For instance, the TW was so dirty, there was no evidence of grey paint visible until I scrubbed and scrubbed. And that was just the "starter".
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

1moretw wrote:Interesting. Will look at it from that perspective and post pic tonight as well. Thanks for the quick reply. This "annual" has been going on since late April, primarily since many previous "fixes" were done poorly as well as many areas left unattended. For instance, the TW was so dirty, there was no evidence of grey paint visible until I scrubbed and scrubbed. And that was just the "starter".
I live on a grass/turf/dirt strip (depends on how long Central TX will remain in drought) and with the “self-lubricated” tailwheel (engine-oil blow-by) …it does get crusty.
I found the best way to clean the tailwheel “in-situ” was to use “Gunk” aerosol foam engine cleaner. Spray it on…each lunch or next day…. use a “parts-brush” to get inside the deep-well wheel-rim and a water hose. Cleans it right up.
2EF84231-5A2C-463B-8835-1E77D058C12D.jpeg
2EF84231-5A2C-463B-8835-1E77D058C12D.jpeg (7.05 KiB) Viewed 916 times
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)