Challenger Permanent Oil Filter

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

cessna170bdriver

Challenger Permanent Oil Filter

Post by cessna170bdriver »

redacted wrote:Just get a Challenger oil filter. Reusable washable screen. STC available. Have one on my Lancair and installing on the 170 next oil change.
I must have been living under a rock lately, as I just became aware of the existence of these permanent oil filters when reading an article about them in this morning’s edition of AvWeb. I just happened to have about a three-year supply of disposable filters on hand when the recent shortage happened, so I haven’t been much affected by it. Even though disposables are now $30+ it would take me about 6 years to break even (not counting periodic replacement of the permanent filter’s $15 seal), but the apparent ease of inspection and cleaning has me interested. What is the experience of anyone here who might be using these filters?
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
redacted

Re: Challenger Permanent Oil Filter

Post by redacted »

I have one on my Lancair 360 (race motor on it) and love it. Just installed one on the 170. Will never go back. Super easy to clean and reinstal at oil changes. I buy a dozen quad gaskets at a time from Spruce so I always have one. Filter works as good or better than the other name brands.
Nathaniel Perlman
1952 170B
N2282D S/N 20434
cessna170bdriver

Thank you Nathaniel. Do you change the seal every time you clean the filter? The article mentioned that some change it every other time, while some went as many as 10. 8O
Miles

— Thomas Browne
redacted

Post by redacted »

I just change it every time. They're cheap, why risk it? But that's just me.
Nathaniel Perlman
1952 170B
N2282D S/N 20434
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I cannot imagine why it makes sense to replace a metal-screen…with a spin on filter adaptor…. which uses another metal screen which must be cleaned. I’d sooner go back the original screen and be done with it all.

However…if I had an EXPERIMENTAL …for which the “permanent/reusable” item is intended…then why not simply use an automotive spin on…like the K&N HP2004 previously discussed or any other similar like a cheap SuperTech ST16….?
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
cessna170bdriver

George, the screen in the challenger filter is MUCH finer than the original screen. Imagine that…
Miles

— Thomas Browne
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

I’m interested in their air filters as I understand they allow the engine to breathe a lot easier than the Brackett. I’d like to know what’s required to revert from the Brackett to the Challenger.

I wouldn’t be opposed to the filter, and knowing about them, it’s the only one I’d consider, but the adapters seem problematic. I have a filter adapter on the E-185 of my Bonanza, but I have been leery of adding one to the 170.
n2582d

Re: Challenger Air Filter

Post by n2582d »

Ryan, Just replace the Brackett assembly with Challenger air filter assembly CP-1172 using STC SA01669CH. You send Challenger your info as seen here and they send you the necessary paperwork. Be aware that maintaining this filter will be more expensive than replacing a Brackett filter element annually. The recharger kit, p/n CP-99-5050 is $33.95 and the gasket, p/n CP-2302 is $11.65 at Spruce. Skyhaven A’s review on page two here would give me pause about swapping a Brackett air filter for a Challenger filter.

But, to get this thread back on track, I don’t see where the Challenger oil filter is approved for the C-170 or O-300/C-145.
FB664404-98F0-423F-A442-ED1D7BEB8B4B.jpeg
Last edited by n2582d on Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

I got rid of my Bracket and installed a Donaldson filter which is also reusable (up to 500 hours). I found the Bracket collects a lot of junk on the filter due to the sticky foam, especially if you fly onto dirt strips.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Here’s what you need Karl. :wink:
Gary
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

cessna170bdriver wrote:George, the screen in the challenger filter is MUCH finer than the original screen. Imagine that…
I got that. But the complexity of an aftermarket adaptor added to the trouble of cleaning a screen just takes me back to dealing with messy screens…which was why I went to the spin on adaptor to begin-with.

(I change my oil and filter every 25 hrs regardless. So I take no benefit of extended oil changes as related to a filter-type…. and the TBO has not been extended regardless of whether the original cleanable screen or a spin on filter or a spin on filter adaptor that uses a cleanable screen.
The original TCM screen was intended to prevent chunks large enough to cause damage from getting to the bearings, etc. The spin on filters…while certainly a theoretical good…. does nothing to extend TBO …and I don’t know of any studies to have been done that proved any measurable benefit from them.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
cessna170bdriver

Personally, I’d rather wash a screen (into a clean container, of course) than cut open a disposable oil filter open and cut out the paper media for inspection. If someone isn't doing that, they might as well go back to the screen.
Miles

— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

cessna170bdriver wrote:Personally, I’d rather wash a screen (into a clean container, of course) than cut open a disposable oil filter open and cut out the paper media for inspection. If someone isn't doing that, they might as well go back to the screen.
I don’t quite see it that way… The original screen MUST be removed/washed or it will clog and has No By-pass. The spin on filter at least has a by-pass.

I no longer wash the pleated paper out in spirits… but I do cut it open and let it throughly drain..then pry the pleats apart to see if anything big or metallic is in them….

I once was helping a friend do some minor work on his 175 and we did an oil change while he was out at my place…and to my surprise…after he’d admitted to doing his own oil changes for a couple years… he expressed surprise when I handed him a AN900 copper crush gasket and he wanted to know “what’s that for?”
He had NEVER pulled his oil screen. I showed him how to do that and it was almost COMPLETELY blocked with carbon! 8O
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

n2582d wrote:Here’s what you need Karl. :wink:
Yeah. That's a little more than I need but a good idea.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL