Shoulder Harness Install

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

n2801c

Shoulder Harness Install

Post by n2801c »

I have a 1954 170B. Thinking about adding shoulder harness kits for the front seats. I see there are basically 2 types - the Y and the 3-point single strap. Are there STC's available for both types? Which type is most recommended? When I look in Wag-Aero or Sportys Catalogs, they appear to be out of stock. Are there other suppliers available?
redacted

Re: Shoulder Harness Install

Post by redacted »

Nathaniel Perlman
1952 170B
N2282D S/N 20434
Richgj3

Post by Richgj3 »

Having just gone through this, my comments

BAS are great. Put them in the Bonanza I used to have. They are the most costly. They require drilling through the top of the airplane. They come with an STC. They are inertial reel type and work very well. 337 required. Makes grabbing the first ten degrees of flaps easy!

Hooker makes a set that are also STC’d. They are not inertial reel. They cost less than BAS. They require drilling also. 337 required

WAG Aero (Aero Fabricators) has an STC. Requires drilling to add an AN4 nut and bolt in the rear carry through. 337 required.

WAG Aero sells the same FAA PMA belts individually without an STC. These belts can be installed in the factory provided AN3 nut plates in the rear carry through. This is considered a minor alteration according to my IA/DAR and confirmed by my FSDO and can be done with a log book entry. If you have the 170B IPC you can find these nut plates with their part number and the comment “shoulder harness”.

This is the way I went. Probably the most economical if you don’t need inertial reel. All are the “Y” type.
Rich Giannotti CFI-A. CFI-I SE.
1952 C170B
N2444D s/n 20596
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I wouldn't consider the 3 point myself.

Inertia reel systems are the Cats Meow. BAS is the only option for most.

I had an A with no nut plate. I used the Hooker STC to install the AN-4 nut plate. Then installed fixed y harnesses for a few weeks until I acquired a pari of AM Safe reels which I rewebbed with the Y harness and installed on with the AN-4 nut plate. The inertia reel install being legal using the FAA's guidance on shoulder harness installations of aircraft prior to their requirement. This route to inertia reels is not the best for most which is why I say BAS is the best option for them.

Having used a fixed Y harness for a short time I can say it is better than nothing and I'd encourage the installation, especially for all B models that already have the AN-3 nut plate installed.

As for availability. There are lots of shortages in aviation these days. I recently wanted to replace some brand new Aero Fabricator seat belts I'd bought for my Vagabond from Wag Aero. Wag Aero and most belts from Spruce, are Aero Fabricator Belts (Aero Fabircators is part of the Wag Aero group). I didn't know it till I bought and used Aero Fabricator belts, but what I really wanted was Davis Aviation belts and buckles. I had to put up with the Aero Fabricator belts for more than 6 months because Spruce, the only direct reseller of Davis belts I could find, had no stock.

What I learned is that if you don't go with BAS, Hooker or Davis belts, both seat lap belts, ie the left and right, are not adjustable, at least all the models of Aero Farbicator are not. Only one side is. The problem being both sides must be adjustable in order to place the Y harness centered correctly on your belly.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com