Help Identify this Electrical Component

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Trumpetrhapsody

Help Identify this Electrical Component

Post by Trumpetrhapsody »

Can someone identify the circled component? It's inline between the master and avionics switches, but I'm not finding any mention of it in the wiring diagrams. I'm trying to chase down a voltage drop, and this seems to be contributing.
Attachments
Inkedphoto_2022-11-10_09-10-03.jpg
Chris
N9998A 1950 170A
Northwest Arkansas
brianm

Re: Help Identify this Electrical Component

Post by brianm »

Looks like a Klixon CA-2 self-resetting breaker (the -2 is the amperage, that part may be different). You don't say what model you have, but in my '48 the IPC shows the breaker on the turn & bank. On the later models I believe it also protects the stall horn. Everything else on the the '48 uses fuses, shown in the wiring diagram as a wavy line. The breaker is illustrated as a semi-circle.
Brian M
N2669V - '48
Trumpetrhapsody

I do see that in the IPC now, thank you for the help!
Chris
N9998A 1950 170A
Northwest Arkansas
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

If you have a voltage drop it’s normally a loose or dirty connection or a extra heavy load . Having a close look at your photo it seems that some of your wiring should be replaced . Some of the insulation has worn through and is obsolete. You can’t let the sparks and smoke out of the wiring .
Trumpetrhapsody

A rewire is absolutely on the to-do list! In addition to the questionable factory wiring, it's a mess from decades of retrofits. I'm just trying to stop the bleeding for now :lol:
Chris
N9998A 1950 170A
Northwest Arkansas
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Some of the aircraft wiring I have seen makes me cringe . Auto and house hold wiring used and all sort of terminals used. Often it looks like a birds nest that a bird has rejected . Good /legal and safe wiring is as important as any balanced flight control. originally when i purchased my aircraft I found strips of copper sheeting running around between terminals and being wrapped in electrical tape . The original owners were trying to creat buzz bars between the fuses . I should have weighed all the rubbish that i cut and removed from my aircraft . Originally my aircraft had HF radios, UHF and IFF valve radios fitted where the back seat should have been . My aircraft spent some time in SE Asia for the US government . The “glove box”area was some sort control panel inserted .
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

ghostflyer wrote:Some of the aircraft wiring I have seen makes me cringe . Auto and house hold wiring used and all sort of terminals used. Often it looks like a birds nest that a bird has rejected . Good /legal and safe wiring is as important as any balanced flight control. originally when i purchased my aircraft I found strips of copper sheeting running around between terminals and being wrapped in electrical tape . The original owners were trying to creat buzz bars between the fuses . I should have weighed all the rubbish that i cut and removed from my aircraft . Originally my aircraft had HF radios, UHF and IFF valve radios fitted where the back seat should have been . My aircraft spent some time in SE Asia for the US government . The “glove box”area was some sort control panel inserted .
For those who speak English instead of Aborigine …a “valve” is a vacuum-tube. :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

George , you are now my offical Australian translator ..WARNING .. the pay is shocking . No company benefits .
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

ghostflyer wrote:George , you are now my offical Australian translator ..WARNING .. the pay is shocking . No company benefits .
Just don’t make me explain “Waltzing Matilda”… (You really MUST do that again at convention.). :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)