Steel axel bolts

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

BrianW

Steel axel bolts

Post by BrianW »

Looking for help with what bolts/nuts/washers I should order to bolt the AF1441003-1 axels to the 170B lady leg gear.

From the parts catalog, it looks like NAS146-42 and NAS 145-41. and a NAS 143-5C washer.

Where can I actually order this stuff? Looking to bolt up the ABI 199-62 wheels/brake kit. I don't have existing bolts to measure because it's all the goodyear X-wind components coming off.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Steel axel bolts

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Google search "Aircraft Hardware"

You will see a list such as Aircraft Spruce and many of the other suppliers one might order aircraft parts from.

Genuine Aircraft Hardware has a fantastic exhaustive site of just hardware. https://gen-aircraft-hardware.com/

Shop around a little for price. I usually pick a supplier that has all the pieces I need and decent shipping so I have one order and shipping is the best it can be.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

Depending on the shim(s) thickness after adjusting camber and toe, you may find you need a longer bolt. With the NAS and MS series bolts being more expensive, I'd use AN bolts temporarily for the alignment, then grip the holes for proper length NAS or MS substitute.
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
Bruce Fenstermacher

Thanks Del, I was going to mention that and forgot.

I'll bet Brain already has axles bolted on the gear leg. And I'll bet mount thickness is the same as the axles he has. And I'll bet if he's careful he could measure the length of each bolt he's already got and since he probably won't be (shouldn't be) changing the shims, he could be more comfortable ordering new bolts the length he's got. He might also note if his is like many, he'll have some long bolts with several washers on it to make up for a bolt just a smidge too long.

BrianW

Post by BrianW »

Yes, I was thinking the length of the current bolts wouldn't be relevant, because the crosswind gear is completely different than the ABI kit going on. Instead of ordering expensive NAS bolts, and then figuring out they are the wrong length, I like the suggestion of just using AN bolts to get things put back together and then swap out to NAS bolts later, if thats even necessary. Not planning to put skies on at any point.
JohnNielsen

Post by JohnNielsen »

I just finished work on my '55 170B that required locating and installing longer NAS bolts. Genuine Aircraft Hardware helped located what I needed and sold them to me. Also used Military Hardware.com to locate some. There is a new Military number that replaces the old NAS number. Still they are expensive and price by provider ranges from $10 ea to $75 each just for the bolt.

Get them longer than needed and use washers. Note the nuts are also NAS to provide the matching tensile strength of the NAS spec.

I have a large assortment of new ones that did not fit I can offer for sale. Just let me know the diameter, grip area and overall length from the bottom of the head to the end of the threads.

John
Bruce Fenstermacher

BrianW wrote:Yes, I was thinking the length of the current bolts wouldn't be relevant, because the crosswind gear is completely different than the ABI kit going on.
CROSSWIND GEAR! You know I did the same conversion, Crosswind for straight axle about 2-1/2 years ago. I just can't remember what is different but I'm sure I couldn't use the same bolts.

c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Bruce, you loved that X gear.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
BrianW

Post by BrianW »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:
BrianW wrote:Yes, I was thinking the length of the current bolts wouldn't be relevant, because the crosswind gear is completely different than the ABI kit going on.
CROSSWIND GEAR! You know I did the same conversion, Crosswind for straight axle about 2-1/2 years ago. I just can't remember what is different but I'm sure I couldn't use the same bolts.

Did you put on the 199-62 ABI kit? Any record of what bolts you ordered?
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

JohnNielsen wrote:... Get them longer than needed and use washers. ...
Don't get too carried away with getting longer bolts. This is from AC43-13-1B:
Washers.png
Washers.png (107.94 KiB) Viewed 5013 times
Exposed threads above the nut should be between one and three.
Gary
Bruce Fenstermacher

I'm afraid you would that the snippet from 43.13 Gary posted is often over looked if you audited a gaggle of 170s in the field. Doesn't make it right, just don't be surprised.