F&M Oil adapter slippage and leakage

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Marion

Re: F&M Oil adapter slippage and leakage

Post by Marion »

Thanks, 2 AD's were out in 2022, none were addressed in the annual. The plane appears to be equipment with the original fiber gasket that was blowing out chunks. I think the A & P missed it. The plane was in annual a month ago.
Marion

Post by Marion »

if anyone is interest, the video below (me) describes the solution I eventually came to on the F & M adapter. Tempest was helpful.

https://youtu.be/wC8-odkbVlw
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Marion,
Thanks for going to the trouble of making those videos. Did you take measurements comparing the old F&M adapter to the new Tempest one? If so, what was the difference?

When torquing anything, friction drag torque needs to be added to the required torque to determine a a final torque setting. (See AC43.13-1B §7-40 (d)). Based on your latest video I would check friction drag torque with the gaskets off to assure that the spool will tighten up to the sleeve without excessive friction drag torque. I wonder if part of the problem people are having is a lack of clearance between the front end of the spool and the adjacent hole diameter in the accessory case. The hole in my accessory case was around 1.685”, the forward end of the spool measured around 1.683”. The original oil screen, at the forward end measured around 1.681”. I wonder, if the threads are tapped a bit off center in the accessory case, could it cause binding here? Here’s a photo of my F&M adapter screwed all the way in with no gaskets. Note that the forward face of the spool is about flush with the mating surface on the accessory case.
55BE1DB9-BE5A-48DF-8365-28FD647E0116.jpeg
Screen position with AN900 gasket installed.
Screen position with AN900 gasket installed.
80CEC685-8E71-49F0-A5CF-143AD1AE566F.jpeg
Gary
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Marion wrote:This is what I found to be the problem.

https://youtu.be/GBquGmmowAs
ECD1C175-0D20-4FD0-B0F9-1A5292036AFD.jpeg
I think the units setting on your digital scale needs to be switched from ounces to pounds. My adapter, without the filter, weighs two pounds. That mistake puts you in good company such as NASA and Air Canada.
Gary
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Gary, one addt’l comment that might add confusion to the subject….is that the original Screen would be capable of being compressed in length somewhat should a mis-match exist in the accy case chamber and the screen…while the FM/Tempst/Stratus adaptor would not, of course.

As to the comical/tragic error contributed to Air Canada… I consider it slightly slanderous the way the article blamed the Glimli Glider error on the “crew”…. when in fact, the Flight Crew questioned the fuel load repeatedly and were scolded/harangued into accepting it (according to the book about the flight)…. it was the Ground Crew (refueler) and Dispatch who err’d, ….and Boeing who contributed via sloppy Manual documentation.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Marion

Post by Marion »

Yes that's my video and I agree, don't know how I came up with that weight!

This was the follow up video if I haven't shared it. Finally fixed this issue with a new one.

https://youtu.be/wC8-odkbVlw
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Other than replacing the 1" square with a 1" hex on the end of the spool, what is different about the new adapter that makes it better, that allows it to tighten down better?
Gary
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

When I got my adaptor years ago it was originally sold by El Reno and was later bought up. El Reno would send you a thread chaser (with a deposit) to clean up the threads which did make it easier to install. I recently installed the latest and greatest gasket kit from Tempest - so far so good.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL