Two pairs of brake master cylinders

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Iurii S.

Two pairs of brake master cylinders

Post by Iurii S. »

Greetings! Could you help me to find a solution? I'm building a project of C170B with TSIO-360CB (I found this engine in a good shape) and planning to use with big boots (may be alaska bushwheels 31'). I noticed, that there are holes in a bulkhead for the second pair of brake master cylinders (for a pilot from the right). So I'm considering installing two pairs of brake master cylinders and unite fluid lines. While firewall is not installed I'd do the job now. Is it a good idea? What are the potential pitfalls? Thank you.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Two pairs of brake master cylinders

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Cessna 170s and most other Cessna models that I'm aware never had 4 master cylinders. The 170, 172, 180, 185 and more have the cylinders on the pilots side that are activated by either the pilot or copilot.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The co-pilot brakes activate the pilot brake master cylinders through mechanical linkage. See the Illustrated parts catalog.
Click on pic to ENLARGE
Click on pic to ENLARGE
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Iurii S.

Post by Iurii S. »

Thank you very much, I decided not to change anything. I will install one pair of brake master cylinders according to the standard scheme.