'48 Headliner around fuel gauges

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

oldtrucksrule

'48 Headliner around fuel gauges

Post by oldtrucksrule »

I have a 1948 170, I'm having a new headliner made. When I removed my headliner the fabric was sandwiched between the fuel gauge and the tank. This seems like a good point of failure. Is this standard practice? or is there a better solution?
brian.olson

Re: '48 Headliner around fuel gauges

Post by brian.olson »

We installed an Airtex headliner a few years ago. Here is a photo of the "old" headliner in place before the new one was put in, but the construction of the old and the new were both the same. The fabric on ours (170A version) was "not" sandwiched between the gauge and tank. Instead, there is a drawstring sewn into the headliner fabric at the end of the "tunnel" that is tied behind the fuel gauge assembly, holding it tight. Apologies that I do not have a photo of it before it was installed, nor from the "back". To answer the next question: the drawstring is tightened and tied before the headliner is stretched and secured at the edges of the door frames, etc.

IMG_1281.jpg
Last edited by brian.olson on Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian
1950 170A
N5762C s/n 19716
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

In our photo documentation of an original 48 we have this photo which shows how the original headliner was done around the gas guage. This being the same as for an A-model.
Original headliner at fuel gauge of '48.png
Original headliner at fuel gauge of '48.png (182.97 KiB) Viewed 3161 times
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
oldtrucksrule

Post by oldtrucksrule »

Thanks all for the replies, this makes much more sense. This is essentially what my upholster recommended.