Delco Remy Generator - core identical with other P/N

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Alex_GER

Delco Remy Generator - core identical with other P/N

Post by Alex_GER »

Hello everyone,
I`m new here and first 1-2 words about me. I´m from Germany so sorry if my english is not so perfect but I hope you understand me. I have a Cessna 170B (1952) together with a colleague since 7 years. In 2017 I found this nice and very helpful fourm and I was a „silence member“ because all question were already answered.

So now my generator died during the summer season and I need a new one or better an overhaul one. I don´t know but here in Germany it´s difficult to find some and aircraft spure EU canceled my overhaul order without a reason. I tried to contact aerotech directly but didn´t get any response until now.

However the facts now.
Installed is a Delco remy 101890 20-A which is gear driven.
I found a Delco Remy 101899 via ebay which looks very good but this generator is from a Piper which is belt driven.
Does anyone know if the core is the same and I can remove the pulley and install my gearwheel. I think the fitting for the engine attachment has to be change also but on photos it looks good.
Thanks
Alexander Martin
Cessna 170B (1952)
D-EEAM S/N 25080
GAHorn

Re: Delco Remy Generator - core identical with other P/N

Post by GAHorn »

Hello, Alex.
I do not believe the belt-driven (Piper) armature is the same and therefore will not provide the repair parts you desire.

I would like to know what specific failure occurred with your 20A generator. Did it simply stop creating current? Did you “polarize” it? Did you test and eliminate the regulator? Do you have the instructions to accompish these tests?

I have a 20 A generator (without gear) I will send you if you will pay for shipping, any customs fees, etc. You will have to install your drive gear. I will test the generator before shipping, but no warranty.

Feel free to contact me via PM or email.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Alex_GER

Post by Alex_GER »

Hi all and GAHorn,

thanks for our offer I will send a PM after this.

Correct I forgot to explain the details of the damage.
I checked nearly anything. Starting from the polarization, wire and the regulator (it´s a new Zeftronics now). I did also a lot of resistance measuring and came to the conclusion that I have to remove and check the generator.
After unmounting and removing the cooling strap some loose cooper parts felt out and also the insulation between the commutators is damaged. The brushes are also gone so that´s why a generaotr overhaul or replacement is required.

I can later upload some pictured but I have to figure out how this works.
Alexander Martin
Cessna 170B (1952)
D-EEAM S/N 25080
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Alex, as you are not a International Cessna 170 Association member, you can not directly post pictures. You could join TIC170A here: https://cessna170.org/register/

The 20A generator is somewhat common to find on the shelf having been replaced by 35 amp models another option you have as well as finding a 25 amp model. Of course if you increased amperage you would also need to make sure your Zeftronics regulator would work with it and you would also want to be sure the wire diameters in your aircraft are up to the task of the higher amperage.

If George's offer doesn't work out I believe I have a good 20A generator in my stash of stuff I'll never use you could have as well.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com