1948 170 Rebuild

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Re: 1948 170 Rebuild

Post by GAHorn »

About 3 miles down the road there is what was once a really nice older, two-story farmhouse which has been abandoned on about 200 acres. It used to be in pretty good structural shape, …being made of stone…. but it has deteriorating windows and hasn’t been occupied in almost half a century now. It’s owned by a widow who reclusively lives alone in a frame house on the opposite end of the property… she having moved back into her parents older frame house when her husband died unexpectedly 40+ years ago. The stone house was built for her and her husband when they were newlyweds. Prior to the marriage, she was a school-teacher in the two-room schoolhouse which, after the last world-war, consolidated with the larger school-district of Marble Falls. That two-room schoolhouse is now a community-center and gathering place for this small village.

The house has an old Case tractor on the second floor. It was a restoration project which was brought inside in pieces and was being restored by the husband when he suddenly died of a heart-attack. (Hard to imagine why he was doing it on the second floor…but that may be a feature of the fact this story was related 30 years-ago by the older men in the area when they used to play their regular checkers-games at the feed store. They’re all gone now except one, who lives in the old-age home a few miles away.

I don’t know what his mental-state was before he died…I never knew him…details of this story being related to me down at the feed-store when I moved here in ‘89 ….. The neighbors are descendants of original settlers and some are actually cousins to the widow……but, the deceased husband, having assembled the tractor….the next problem was getting it out of the house….when he had the heart attack. The stone house is beginning to collapse, as one can imagine. I should post a picture but the property has become overgrown over the last 40 years and it’s almost no longer visible from the county road.

I hope you don’t paint yourself into a corner with this airplane. :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Stick.Back.Aviation

Re: 1948 170 Rebuild

Post by Stick.Back.Aviation »

GAHorn wrote:About 3 miles down the road there is what was once a really nice older, two-story farmhouse which has been abandoned on about 200 acres. It used to be in pretty good structural shape, …being made of stone…. but it has deteriorating windows and hasn’t been occupied in almost half a century now. It’s owned by a widow who reclusively lives alone in a frame house on the opposite end of the property… she having moved back into her parents older frame house when her husband died unexpectedly 40+ years ago. The stone house was built for her and her husband when they were newlyweds. Prior to the marriage, she was a school-teacher in the two-room schoolhouse which, after the last world-war, consolidated with the larger school-district of Marble Falls. That two-room schoolhouse is now a community-center and gathering place for this small village.

The house has an old Case tractor on the second floor. It was a restoration project which was brought inside in pieces and was being restored by the husband when he suddenly died of a heart-attack. (Hard to imagine why he was doing it on the second floor…but that may be a feature of the fact this story was related 30 years-ago by the older men in the area when they used to play their regular checkers-games at the feed store. They’re all gone now except one, who lives in the old-age home a few miles away.

I don’t know what his mental-state was before he died…I never knew him…details of this story being related to me down at the feed-store when I moved here in ‘89 ….. The neighbors are descendants of original settlers and some are actually cousins to the widow……but, the deceased husband, having assembled the tractor….the next problem was getting it out of the house….when he had the heart attack. The stone house is beginning to collapse, as one can imagine. I should post a picture but the property has become overgrown over the last 40 years and it’s almost no longer visible from the county road.

I hope you don’t paint yourself into a corner with this airplane. :lol:
I do have big plans to do some test fitting inside, but when it finally comes time to move it out I am not even going to put the seats in. That fuselage stripped out is probably the max weight and awkwardness two guys can handle. The picture going thru the screen was easy because it just took reinstalling one screen section, but all those metal panels come out too so if needed I can do two screen sections and with that metal removed I could probably roll it out on the mains. The size is a consideration I have been cognizant of throughout this whole hairbrained idea. Got one pax window out last night and then started on the floor. Woke up in there with the dog after about an hour. I did make some progress though!

I will keep interesting updates coming in.
thanks guys,

Tyler