0300A - inspecting lifters?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

c170b53

Re: 0300A - inspecting lifters?

Post by c170b53 »

Bring it back to life very carefully. If it hasn’t run for sometime, changing the oil, removing the plugs, pressurizing the oil galleries, turning the engine over by hand for starters. I, myself also worry over stuck rings. Maybe I worry too much.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
DWood

Post by DWood »

DWood wrote:
An IA I know recommends Aeroshell Plus even for Continentals as it has the additives to protect the cam and lifters.

I was told never to do this if you still have the old pull type starter as it negatively affects the clutch mechanism.
There is enough conflicting information out there that I deleted my post. Thank you.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Several “pre-buy” inspectors have advocated using a borescope thru the aft sump-drain as a method of viewing the cam lobes.

Using the cam-guard or Shell Multi-wt or “plus” oils should not have any adverse effect on the pull-starter clutch…because that clutch works on a principle of rollers becoming jammed/locked inside the clutch to impart rotation. Any difficulty with cam-guard or multi-wt oils would more likely apply to the angle-starters which rely on the friction created by a contracting-spring on a shaft ….such as applicable to the D-model O-300s.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

GAHorn wrote:Several “pre-buy” inspectors have advocated using a borescope thru the aft sump-drain as a method of viewing the cam lobes.

Using the cam-guard or Shell Multi-wt or “plus” oils should not have any adverse effect on the pull-starter clutch…because that clutch works on a principle of rollers becoming jammed/locked inside the clutch to impart rotation. Any difficulty with cam-guard or multi-wt oils would more likely apply to the angle-starters which rely on the friction created by a contracting-spring on a shaft ….such as applicable to the D-model O-300s.
Been using Cam-guard for years in my 0300D with no starter problems.

Joe
4518C
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

According to the Beech Talk forum at the Bonanza Society…” Aug 31, 2017 — Slipping of a starter adapter may be caused by a oil additive. ... Automotive cam guard should not be used in continental engines. …”

The rest of the conversation requires membership in that organization, but the gist is that AUTOMOTIVE CamGuard and AVIATION CamGuard are NOT the same product… so beware of using unapproved additives and lubricants in your airplane.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... 1TM_gwFB9c
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)