Jasco alternator problems

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

vcavu

Jasco alternator problems

Post by vcavu »

My Jasco alternator has been intermittent and now stopped working. I have only 300 hours on it and was convinced that it couldn't be bad We used the Skytronics troubleshooting manual and after measuring the voltages off the regulator which were nominal we pulled the alternator. No easy task since the space between the firewall and alternator terminals are tight. An alternator shop bench tested it and found when a 12 v field voltage was applied the output would come up and then crash.
Quality Air has one for $1900 in stock. Does anyone have a less expensive option and has anyone else's Jasco crapped out so quickly.

Thanks Vince Lalomia
GAHorn

Re: Jasco alternator problems

Post by GAHorn »

Hello Vince! Sorry to hear about this… unfortunately Jasco alternators are proprietary and are the only parts/repair people available….and as you have likely discovered. QAA is a Hartzell company who acquired the Jasco (and many other) lines. The only alternative you might find will be the salvage yards and you’ll run the risk of “you get what you pay for”.

Sorry not to have a better solution.

PS: The QAA price is $1702 with a $200 core deposit which you should get in a refund when they receive your failed unit.

This won’t likely help you…but when the Jasco fails in our 172/Skyhawk we’re using for a trainer…. I plan to return it to its original 35A generator system. Cost: About $200.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
vcavu

Post by vcavu »

Can I use a Delco Remy 1101890 early 172 20A generator with a new regulator and do some rewirirng. Has anyone tried that/?
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

vcavu wrote:Can I use a Delco Remy 1101890 early 172 20A generator with a new regulator and do some rewirirng. Has anyone tried that/?
It depends…. upon whether or not it was original equipment…you can return it to that condition. If not, then you’ll need to find another basis of approval, but it should not be too difficult. (I wonder why you’d select 20A when 35A is also available.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)