Camera Port

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Prestigeaerials

Camera Port

Post by Prestigeaerials »

Hello I wanted to see if anyone with a camera port (that they have used or are using for photography) would be willing to share some photos of their setup, I've searched all over the internet for images with no luck. My 170b has a camera port and would love to use it one day as I am a photographer and work in film (this would be for fun not pay). thank you!
n2582d

Re: Camera Port

Post by n2582d »

This link should give you some leads. I’m puzzled why searching “camera” didn’t bring up this thread. AK7054-2, the accessory kit for the off center camera port, can be found here.
Last edited by n2582d on Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

Gimbal-in-plane.jpg
Prestigeaerials wrote:Hello I wanted to see if anyone with a camera port (that they have used or are using for photography) would be willing to share some photos of their setup, I've searched all over the internet for images with no luck. My 170b has a camera port and would love to use it one day as I am a photographer and work in film (this would be for fun not pay). thank you!
I installed the camera port in my '53 back in 2003. Cessna offered a factory camera port option back in the day so I didn't have any approval issues. As per Gary's post, you can see how I acquired it. The pieces that I got were in pretty bad shape so I just used them for patterns and made all new pieces. If you have the factory kit it is behind the pilot's seat, round, and about 10-11inches in diameter. There is also a "viewing port" that is about 4 inches in dia. that I don't use. I designed and built a gyro-stabilized gymbal mount that keeps the camera pointing straight down regardless of attitude. I'll attach a picture, however the gyro isn't in the pic but it goes in the craddle on the left side of the pic. I can send an additional pic of the port while I was installing it if I can find it.
Prestigeaerials

Post by Prestigeaerials »

Thank you Joe ! I really appreciate this info and the photos! I have a factory camera port and viewing port in my plane. Right now they’re covered with aluminum covers. When you are using your port do you have a plexi cover on the belly? Or leave it open air ? My records for the plane show that there was a plexi cover on the belly, not sure if I need to make a new one to use the port or if there’s any issue having it open air.
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

Floorboard-in.jpg
Prestigeaerials wrote:Thank you Joe ! I really appreciate this info and the photos! I have a factory camera port and viewing port in my plane. Right now they’re covered with aluminum covers. When you are using your port do you have a plexi cover on the belly? Or leave it open air ? My records for the plane show that there was a plexi cover on the belly, not sure if I need to make a new one to use the port or if there’s any issue having it open air.
I actually made a plate that covers the hole from the inside and it has a 1/4 turn knob in the middle of it so I can remove it easily in flight. I don't like shooting through glass or plexi-glass as it takes away from the quality of the photos. I also made a lip in front of the port on the bottom of the plane that creates a vacuum so that exhaust fumes do not enter while flying with the inside cover removed. I experimented with talcum powder while flying and air goes out, not in. Next time I'm at my hangar I'll try to remember to take some pics for you. I'll attach a pic that I have of the inside while I was doing the install.