48 170 windows

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

marktoula1

48 170 windows

Post by marktoula1 »

I have question please, Ive been looking for new windows and windscreen for my 48 170. Everything I have found so far shows either A or B models only. Will either of these work for me or is there somewhere that has those parts for a 48? thank you for the help.

Arthur
n2582d

Re: 48 170 windows

Post by n2582d »

Great Lakes Aero Products
Cee Bailey's
Page 56 in LP Aero's Catalog
You're trying to match the original windshield p/n 0510000-6, door window p/n 0511106-3, and rear window p/n 0512000-23.
Gary
marktoula1

Post by marktoula1 »

thanks so very much. you have been great help.
Arthur
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

The side windows can be an owner made part . The windows are normally a flat sheet of perplex but [legally???] I would use lexan. [poly carbonate ]. When measuring for the thickness ,go as thicker as you can and measure the clearance allowed between the retaining strip and the outer window structure for the thickness of the “glass” allowed.
Be very carefull of using tint . Originally I replaced my side windows with a dark grey . Big mistake !! when dust and water was on it couldn’t see out of it . So I tried a light green tint [only did one window first ,thank goodness]. Not as bad as the dark grey tint but ended up going to clear lexan all round . Be carefull of what rivets that you use to secure the inner retaining strip to the outer door frames . Some “GENIUS” before me used “cherry lock rivets “. He [“GENIUS” ] also used cherry lock rivets to secure the windscreen retaining strip also. To secure the windscreen in I used + marked screws and nylon lock nuts. I used the thickest windscreen [PMA] which I think was a Lakes product .
[Disclaimer, the above information or work practices was done in a different country to the USA and might not comply with the FAA rules and regulations . Please use the approved manufacturers maintenance /overhaul manual. ]
marktoula1

Post by marktoula1 »

thanks again for the insight. I finally ordered a set from Great Lakes so I will see how it goes. All of my windows were busted when I got the plane, Ive spent the last month or so cleaning the fuselage for paint, and to an earlier post I saw am replacing all the wiring with the stuff Mr Horn recommended. I would say this about a project like mine (my plane sat outside for 25 years) it feels good to take something discarded and return it to a better place. Having a place to get good information such as this and to get to read what others are doing is awesome. Thank you to everyone.

Arthur
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

I do not know if you are a member yet but joining it opens up gems of information that will save you money and time . Plus going to the conventions are a great source of amusement [means we all get to talk tall and strange tales of 170,s]. We have an auction during the convention where parts are sold to members . There is always a flow of information between members during the convention. Before I went to my first convention ,I had a list of questions to ask. The next day after arrival at the convention , all my questions and ideas had been answered. [cost 4 beers]. I travel over 9,000 miles to each convention [from Australia] ,the conventions are that good.
marktoula1

Post by marktoula1 »

I am a member and will look into attending.
Thanks