Sprung gear leg

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Dferr34

Sprung gear leg

Post by Dferr34 »

Hello everyone, I just got my 1949 C-170A back from an annual inspection. I let the mechanic know before the inspection I had a concern about the plane not sitting level. The mechanic told me I have a sprung gear leg. I thought the one leg looked a little off. I have the P Ponk kit installed, is there a way to correct this or do I need a new gear leg? I know P Ponk offers shims but would that be the fix? And if I need a new gear leg, can I get just one or do you need to buy a set?

Thanks, Don
n2582d

Re: Sprung gear leg

Post by n2582d »

Don,
Cessna says that if your gear is bent your only option is to replace it. But I would talk with Jim Hayton of North Sound Aviation (360) 661-3302 or Tom Anderson at the The Landing Gear Works about your options. Be wary of getting a replacement leg online. For example, here is a leg currently offered on eBay for a great price: https://www.ebay.com/itm/225485334296. First, it is incorrectly identified as an early C-170 gear, p/n 0541114. The two holes mid-gear indicate that it is for a C-120/140. The holes are for mounting the step on these aircraft. Second, you don't know if the paint has been removed with a paint stripper. Doing so with many paint strippers will cause hydrogen embrittlement. Finally, it would be very hard to tell by the pictures whether this gear is also bent or not.

Regarding the shims, I don't know which shims P.Ponk offers. The wedge shims for the outboard gear mount (p/n 0741007, fig.26-6), do nothing for raising a low wing. The shim at the inboard end, (p/n 0541105, fig. 26-10), is used to level the wings.
Figure 26.png
Shim 0541105.jpg
If your P.Ponk reinforcements have not been installed to allow for these shims they will have to be removed and milled to install shims. The C-185 uses the same inboard shims as the C-170. According to the C-185 Service Manual a maximum of three of these shims are allowed. The shims are 0.065" thick so 0.195" would be the maximum allowable shim thickness if one were to use the three shim limitation of the C-185 Service Manual. You would not need to buy a new set of gear; only need to replace the bent one. The later style gear, known as the lady-leg gear, has a specific part number for the left and right side. The early style gear -- which was original to your C-170A -- is interchangeable between left and right -- p/n 0541114.
Last edited by n2582d on Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Gary
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

I don't have the PPonk kit installed but Mountain Airframe was able to correct a 6-inch wing-low condition on my B-model with AN washers under the gear attach bolt.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

n2582d wrote:First, it is incorrectly identified as an early C-170 gear, p/n 0541114. The two holes mid-gear indicate that it is for a C-120/140.
170 and 170A serials 18001 to 19219 had drilled gear. A screw is what held the brake line holder to the leg. The next iteration of the gear the hole became a dimple only but otherwise unchanged from the earlier gear. Lady Legs started with serial 25612.

The problem with that ebay gear is two holes. 170 gear only had one.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Don,
Five years ago Duane Shockey wrote this:
DuaneShockey wrote:I have a 48 ragwing since 1976. It had gear legs with the hole drilled through each to fasten the clamp for the brake line. I was told long ago that they were known to have failed many times over the years for 48's. I heeded the warning and bought some "A" legs from John Benham. They are stiffer and they don't bend as much in a tight turn on the ground causing a squat as the originals did. They are in my hangar if anybody wants them. Duane Shockey
Might be worth checking if they’re still available.
Gary
mitchw4

Post by mitchw4 »

I recently replaced the stock gear on my '51 170A with 180 gear legs. They were/are in serviceable condition as far as I know. If someone needs a set, don't be shy to reach out. I'm willing to offer a decent deal for a fellow member.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I don’t have anything of “valid” interest to contribute….but while reading thru this thread…it occurred to me that we’ve been missing-out on yet-another convoluted discussion we could have had…. regarding: “Is it possible…or appropriate…to MIX an early gear leg equipped airplane…with a later “lady” gear-leg …on the same airframe? For example, an early gear-leg B-model (pre: 25612) needing only one leg replaced… Would it be appropriate and legal to install a later lady-leg on one side of the airplane while retaining the early leg on the opposite side?

This just screams for a nice, new controversy. LOL.

I wouldn’t do it. I wouldn’t recommend it. But it just now popped-up in my twisted-mind that this is the sort of question that could provoke endless arguments we’ve been Missing-Out ON! :lol: :lol: :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

George, an airframe with mixed gear as you suggest would look strange enough I'd have to wonder who would think it correct and fly the airplane. I'd think the different bending rate of each gear would make it a real hand full on anything but a glass smooth landing.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Bruce, I’m certainly in agreement with you… but as nutty as some things which have come-up here… I’m surprised someone hasn’t presented it by now.
The curious thing about it …. at least on paper…. is legality. Offhand… I’m not immediately struck by any prohibition other than sensibility and judgement.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
Dferr34

Post by Dferr34 »

I have another question. If the the pilot side gear leg is sprung, would this cause the plane to pull to the left on takeoff on pavement? I don't notice it very much on grass but its a bit of a hand full on the pavement. It starts to happen right as the plane is starting to develop lift. Would the plane not siting level cause this?

Thanks, Don
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Dferr34 wrote:I have another question. If the the pilot side gear leg is sprung, would this cause the plane to pull to the left on takeoff on pavement? I don't notice it very much on grass but its a bit of a hand full on the pavement. It starts to happen right as the plane is starting to develop lift. Would the plane not siting level cause this?

Thanks, Don
Don, if you could email a picture or two from various angles of your landing gear and airplane I might be able to post them here and we’d all be better equipped to assist you. It may be that your wheels simply need alignment….and that is a less expensive/less extensive procedure.
Dferr34

Post by Dferr34 »

Okay, thanks. I'll see if I can get some good pics.

Thanks!
Dferr34

Post by Dferr34 »

How do I add pictures?
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Membership in the Assoc’n is req’d to upload pics…. but you can click on my username and email them to me and I’ll add them.