Oil Pressure Gauge Replacement

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

dav8or

Oil Pressure Gauge Replacement

Post by dav8or »

I have a mechanical oil pressure gauge that seems to be stuck. It never reads below 35 PSI even after sitting in the hangar for a week. I need to replace it but I am not sure what to replace it with. The gauge that is in there does not appear to be original. It has Rochester on the face and looks like the "Military Oil Pressure" gauge on Aircraft Spruce.com

Any suggestions on a replacement or other options people may has chosen?

Thanks,
Dan L
League City, TX
redacted

Re: Oil Pressure Gauge Replacement

Post by redacted »

Maybe it's gummed up? Get some 5606 into the lines through the gauge, that stuff eats oil.
Nathaniel Perlman
1952 170B
N2282D S/N 20434
JSwift

Post by JSwift »

I’ve been quite happy with my Electronics International Oil Pressure/Temperature gauge. I had installed their Fuel Flow gauge first and when the time came to replace my failed oil temp gauge I went for both. Good quality and great customer support.
N2594D, 1952 170B #20746
Near Enfield, CT
Let's go fly!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I would suggest simply replacing it with the Rochester Oil Pressure gauge…. (Note: the “Military Oil Pressure” gauge in the Spruce Catalog differs from the “Military Oil Pressure” gauge on the website. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... kkey=11518
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
dav8or

Post by dav8or »

We will try to figure out what caused the gauge to stick once we get it out. Not sure I would trust it anymore though.

I will probably just replace it with the Rochester for now to get flying. I did not see the difference between their online listing and the catalog page link other than the price increase.

I will look into the other options such as the Electronics International or other digital gauge when I start upgrading the panel a bit.

Thanks,
Dan L.
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Dan,
A bit off topic, but rather important if it's not already taken care of on your plane. As you're relatively new here you may not have run across the topic of fatigue cracking in the copper oil pressure line. It was the subject of AD 70-10-06 for the early Lycoming-powered C-172s. If you're planning on switching to an electronic oil pressure gauge in the near future you may just want to cross you fingers until then but if you're sticking with a mechanical gauge I'd recommend replacing the copper line with a flexible one. There are several discussions here regarding this. It's one item on Gene Feher's C-170 Special Attention Areas. There's further discussion on the subject here.
Gary
dav8or

Post by dav8or »

Hi Gary,

Thanks for letting me know. I have started reading posts and will definitely look at this when we pull out the gauge.

Dan
Avee8or

Post by Avee8or »

Shortly after buying my 170 I had the copper line fail, fortunately close to departure airport. I have been flying for 5 years on the new line. Going back to research some issues, I found the line that failed had been fabricated/installed only 18 months before it failed on me...I will be replacing the mechanical gauge with an electric one in the near future. The EI looks like a good choice.
Varel Freeman

170B N3211A
195 N195GW
PA31 N508Y