Blank instrument panel (drawings/measurements)

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GielV

Blank instrument panel (drawings/measurements)

Post by GielV »

Hi all,

I'm thinking about doing some extensive panel work, but before doing any work I'd like to draw out the panel on AutoCAD or illustrator.
Are there any members here that would happen to have a blank instrument in either of those programs I could use?

If not, maybe there are members here that have the exact measurements of the panel on a 1954 Cessna 170B?

Thanks in advance and enjoy the beginning of the week!

Giel
GAHorn

Re: Blank instrument panel (drawings/measurements)

Post by GAHorn »

GieIV, did you know that there are many instances where someone believes they have a ‘54 Cessna…but in reality they have a ‘55 or ‘53… due to the process FAA uses to register airframes? If a ‘54 airplane leaves the assembly-line in Nov ‘53…. FAA will register it as a 53-model. An airplane leaving the assy line in Dec of 54 may (probably) actually be a ‘55 model.

It may be more accurate for you to list the Serial Number airframe you wish particulars about. :wink:

However, in this thread, it may be helpful to know that from the ‘53 model on (SN 25373….the “shock mounted panel” was almost unchanged…. so what part do you actually need to have the dimensions of…. for example, Fig 53, Item 8..? or item 1..?

Also, be aware, item 8, PN 0513004-27, is a curved, multi-surface panel… with rolled edges and indentations……simple width/height measurements may not be particularly useful depending upon your intentions for details. (However it is possible that some NOS examples of that PN might be available…I occasionally see one offered for sale.) Item 1 is more easily :?: fabricated from flat stock.

The fixed panel upon which the shock mounted panel was not the same for all those years…again, based upon serial number. (See the IPC)

Hope this helps.
Shock Mounted Panel 170-B SN: 25373 and on
Shock Mounted Panel 170-B SN: 25373 and on
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
GielV

Post by GielV »

Thanks for the reply GAHorn, I’m talking about item #1.
And our S/N is 26528.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

GielV wrote:Thanks for the reply GAHorn, I’m talking about item #1.
And our S/N is 26528.
26528 is a "55 model.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Vertical

Post by Vertical »

GielV wrote:Hi all,

I'm thinking about doing some extensive panel work, but before doing any work I'd like to draw out the panel on AutoCAD or illustrator.
Are there any members here that would happen to have a blank instrument in either of those programs I could use?

If not, maybe there are members here that have the exact measurements of the panel on a 1954 Cessna 170B?

Thanks in advance and enjoy the beginning of the week!

Giel
I have a poster board tracing of a 55 panel with dims. It just needs to be scanned, scaled and converted to vector. It will be a couple weeks before I'm in the right state to grab it though...If you are still looking by then, let me know.
GielV

Post by GielV »

Vertical wrote: I have a poster board tracing of a 55 panel with dims. It just needs to be scanned, scaled and converted to vector. It will be a couple weeks before I'm in the right state to grab it though...If you are still looking by then, let me know.
Hi Vertical, that would be awesome. Making a board tracing would be the other option we have. But not having to take everything out to do the tracing would save us a lot of time! Thanks a ton!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I have a panel cover PN 0513004-27 which is NOS just sitting in my “spares” box… How would I obtain such a “scan” or “vector” from it?
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

George, the easiest and probably only way would be to trace the panel on a white board or white paper and have it scanned. Scanning the panel itself, because it has depth, will render unwanted shadows and incorrect shape.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

When I acquired N146YS it came with a number of unusual NOS items I was surprised the seller/restorer passed-along with it, as some of them are quite valuable, IMO. When I suggested he simply offer them for sale he replied, “No… You might find them useful trade items.”

A few of them I’ve passed along as “good will” gestures… For example, since he’d installed an O-300-C with six-bolt prop….he’d also had custom “spun” a spinner backing-plate so the original “bullet” spinner could be mounted, and included a “spare”. A Member in FL needed a spinner replacement so I sent it his way. (I wish I’d had it duplicated first for posterity tho’.)

The panel-cover on my panel actually has a small repair which has been carefully patched and is unnoticeable, but I’ve kept the NOS cover expecting some day to use it for a replacement. I could trace it however if someone wanted a tracing.